AN "INTERESTING" SEKI STAMPED SWORD

Bazza

I thought those interested might like to see some painted(?) kanji on a gunto tang near the nakago jiri. I've never seen this before.

sekistamp.th.jpg

sekimei.th.jpg

sekinakagojiri.th.jpg

I'll delete the images on Friday 8th May - please pm me if you want the images after that date.

Regards,

Barry Thomas

aka Bazza.

Hi Barry, I am not a collector of gunto, but, I have seen similar writing on other nakago of gunto. 中 'chu' meaning middle or inside. I think the other is roman numerals for 92. Just to keep the blade numbered to ID the saya and other fittings for assembly? John

Hi Barry,

The white kanji above the part John explained read as "same-seishiki" (鮫制式),

which means about "for mounting in same". Probably the saya was one of the

samezaya of naval swords.

Thank you John and Markus. I'm not a gunto collector either, but I thought this was interesting enough to put up. I looked at the sword again today (it's not mine!) and it is indeed mounted in a samezaya. Thank you too Markus for the translation, very interesting indeed as this would suggest the sword at the time of its production was more highly thought of than we do today.

Regards,

Barry Thomas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..