The classy-ist joint in town is at it too

Can anybody be so kind to translate descriptions?....

Hi Vaidas, the translation of No.492 reads as follows:

"The dagger mounting (tanken-goshirae) seems to be for a naval officer of either the grade of a naval

field or company officer. The saya is of a blueish samegawa, and the fittings show a cherryblossom motif,

which are all in all elaborately executed. The habaki bears kebori carvings of the two characters "chû" and

"kô" (loyalty and filial piety), and one might feel the spirit of the naval officer when being at the front with

this dagger at the waist.

The mounted blade is of a classical, old style unokubi-zukuri, and the hamon is a noble suguha. The

signature reads "Yamato no Daijô Kunitake", and was probably engraved with an emphasized meaning of

"the Warriors of the Land of Yamato". The condition of both the blade and the mountings is very good."

thank you very much for your help, Markus!

what is you opinion in general about this tanto, i'm risking to look immodest, but i would like to understand the ration between quality of blade(mountings seem very nice), value and indicated price. I've interest to obtain such Naval dirk(if it can be called so)

thank you very much in advance for your help and time. If anybody else could add his opinion, i would very grateful.

Hi Vaidas,

I think the question is: are you collecting military swords and naval

dirks in special? The fittings or rather the condition looks quite nice,

but the question above decides anything about the price.

My personal opinion, for 350.000 you will find a more, let´s say "interesting" piece,

even in katana length with mounting, where much more can be seen on the blade

(from the point of view of a nihontô enthusiast and collector ;) ).

Hi Markus,

i'm collecting military swords and dirks of Japan. Now, after gathering some "basic" examples of kyu and shin-guntos i'm trying to expand my collection with traditional blades in military mounts. That is way i'm so interested in this tanto. i fully understand that price is always case sensitive and i know the attitude of nihonto enthusiasts :) so, i decided go somewhere between - compose both in one:) Also, in respect of this forum, i decided never to show here myself with mass production blades

thank you very much for your opinion!!!!!!

Hi Vaidas,

Thanks for the clarification. It´s always better to know a bit of background for giving an advice.

Also, in respect of this forum, i decided never to show here myself with mass production blades

Don´t withhold, this is exactly why this sub-section "Military Swords of Japan" was opened.

The last time I bought a tsuba at Finesword, they responded as far as I remember

after two days. But you can also try to contact them via the site of Choshuya,

referring that you try to buy something of their Finesword section.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..