Is it worth it to restore a blade?

Dave0258

I have a friend whose husband just passed away and in cleaning out the closet found a Japanese sword. She said that her husband bought it in Japan right after the war (he was on board a naval vessel in Tokyo harbor for the surrender). Based on my research, it looks to be a kyu gunto, company grade officer's sword (brown tassel). I suspect it is hand-forged, as it has a wooden mekugi pin, and genuine ray-skin handle in pretty good condition. I can see some of the temper line (hamon?). I say some of it, because the blade has extensive rust. The edge is still incredibly sharp, although the point is damaged slightly. The scabbard is the traditional chrome plated with some corrosion. I have not tried to removed the handle to inspect the tang for markings as it is not my sword. The locking latch still works although the button to depress it is missing. Apparently he put it in the closet after he returned and it sat there for the next 60+ years. Two Arisaka rifle bayonets are with it. I am confident of the provenance of the sword. The widow wants to know if the sword has any value, and I have told her that an expert would have to tell her that, although my guess was only a few hundred dollars. My question is whether the blade is worth restoration? I am guessing that the restoration process would cost more than the sword is worth? Where can you send these swords for restoration if you decide to do that?

Hi Dave, A picture is worth a thousand words. I suspect if the damage is as great as you say, it isn't likely to be worth much to bother restoring. Until you remove the hilt and examine the sword for evidence that it is a better blade than normally found in this type rig. John

Srry for the delay in posting pictures. I took photos and they are too large to post here. I will have to get another camera. I will try again this weekend. Headed to Tokyo on Sunday. Any advice for where to go look at some tantos?

Dave,

If your camera takes pics that are too big...you don't get a new camera...you choose a smaller filesize in the settings :o

Or resize them on your pc.

As for starting out at a dealer in Tokyo..I would email Aoi Art and let them know you are coming and ask to see some tanto in X price range.

Brian

In addition to that ~$100.00 per inch plus figure for polishing, generally, the cost of a new habaki and shirasaya need to be added in as well, roughly another $1000.00. Also, note that from start to finish including papering you're looking at the sword being gone anywhere from 1 to 2 years on average to complete the entire process. Spending this kind of time and money requires not only very careful attention to sword selection, but the choice of polisher as well for a successful outcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..