Hello Everyone. I was hoping for some Mei signature help.

Nate Stefan

Hello Everyone,

I have been surfing this site for a while and greatly appreciate all of the kind info everyone posts here.

I am relatively new to Nihonto so I am sure I am going to come across as a simpleton.

I just bought a sword on ebay, I was not the winner of the auction but was contacted by the owner and after much assurance from the seller I bought the sword.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

It arrived as advertised but now I have more questions. Mostly about the signature. I suspicious of the blade and I am wondering what other people think.

I attached some photos of the date and signatures to help if you would be so kind.

I am sorry if it is improper of me to ask for this help and will not be offended if no help is offered.

Thankyou so much,

Nathan Stefan

post-210-14196734450418_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much Mr. Moriyama,

I greatly appreciate yours and Ichis' guidance. I never expected such a quick reply.

I wanted to buy a quality sword. I am always skeptical of getting a lucky buy on ebay :lol:

I will continue to look for more answers and enjoy the process.

Cheers,

Nate

Thank you again Mr. Moriyama,

The signature does seem similar to me but I don't have the qualifications to judge.

I believe the blade is in fairly good shape but it would need a polish to bring everything out.

Is the fact that it is not razor sharp a concern if it is not in perfect polish. Do blades loose their edge over time?

Sorry for the spam.

Nate

Hi Nate,

The signature looks similar in its feeling. However, I think that there are several differences from the papered signature for each character. Also as for the date, 八 (hachi; eight) looks different to me.

I am a biginner and am not qualified to judge.

I agree and remain suspicious.

For me learning when and by whom it was "made" whether it is real or not was an important step. Thanks again for giving me all this info.

I am nowhere near sofisticated enough to tell the differences between real and fake signatures yet.

You guys rule,

Nate

the first link shows the blade here it is again

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

The seller is Eric Molinier he puts alot of swords on ebay, usually good quality gunto and a few now and then koto shinto and shinshinto, knowing Eric this is gimei or it would have went to one of is private buyers, then theres that ware.

Nate Stefan,

Some of the people in here are very knowledge in older period sword. In addition, they have sharp eye in details of the some famous smith work. Can you post the pictures of the whole sword for us to examine. Many times, the details of forging skills and characteristics in the sword confirm the signature.

If you refers us back to the auction then the pictures are not showing up after the auction.

Considering you are lucky, sometimes the second or third person on the lists got scammed on ebay by someone else instead of the original owner.

The signature does not look right to my reference book.

Hello Mr. Doan,

Sorry for the late reply, I am very grateful for all of the help I have recieved here and can't say enough about the kindness shown to me. People on here are extremely knowledgeable.

I want to post some more pics but I don't want to choke up the servers with large images. I will gladly send you and email with all the pics I have of the sword. My email is nathan_stefan@hotmail.com.

I really didn't purchase the sword for any other reason than I love Japanese swords. This one caught my eye and made the decision to get it :)

You're right about ebay auctions and buying outside of ebay. I did ask him to send pics that weren't in the listing and asked several questions before I sent the money.

Thank you so much for taking the time to check the signature and replying to me. I want to know as much as I can about the sword as Ican, real/fake mei or not.

Thanks again,

Nate

Hi Nate,

It's so difficult to appraise the blade even for the experts. This dealer used to do it for $40-50 fee and advise you whether it's geniune or gimei. But he is too busy now.

http://aoi-art.com/

Best bet is to join a nearby sword group and wait until the NBTHK shinsa comes. Guess there was a peaceful period during Edo when all samurai wanted show off his 'fake Rolex', and that's why they are so many Sukenaos. Hope it's a real one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..