wakizashi mei on ebay

loiner1965

That is Tomoyuki for sure.

Did any of you guys bag this. I totaly missed it. Bummed about that.

Let me know if you have it I will gladley make you a nice trade for that one.

Mark G

sorry mark as i only spotted it with a couple of hours to go but could only make out half the mei.....will get in touch if i see another one....try and contact the seller in case the buyer pulls out as its worth a try

Hi Gentlemen

I see with interest your chats and views on this Bungo Tomoyuki wakizashi. I am interested in what you think about it in detail, as there seems little to recomend it but you all seem so keen. Maybe I am missing something and you would be kind enough to enlighten a poor old bloke like me as to what is the attraction.

Best regards

Clive

Hi Clive, It is not something I would be interested in, notwithstanding the condition, I have no interest specifically for Takata-ha. Knowing Mark's interest in Tomoyuki, I was curious about the sword that sold so cheaply, $200. Not a big bullet to bite on a gamble that it may be restorable. Other than that, no big rumble for me. John

Hi Guys, You will never believe this but I bid $450.00 on this item in the last few seconds only to find Ebay has finely set up a full BAR to all U.K. bidders so my bid was automaticely Stopped (prohibited) I was really gutted pig sick it would have been mine. So beware U.K. bidders you can no longer bid for swords under certain title headings on Ebay or item location. Regards FEELING GUTTED John :steamed: :rant: :rant:

i was not bidding but just happened to spot it and tried reading the mei in case others were interested in it......i just watched it to the last seconds wondering wether anyone was going to bid but zilch......so if i wanted a sword from the usa i would have to test bid so to speak first

Clive, and gang,

Clive, most people here on the board know I collect signed Bungo Tomoyuki swords, I have 3 now. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4725

I would surely have bid on this one, had I seen it. There was not anything special looking about this sword, and it could have all kinds of problems that the bad pics did not show.

However, I do love Bungo swords in general, and the shinto Tomoyuki has become my collection center. (a Bungo ju Tomoyuki, wak was my very first Nihonto.)

This sword could be a gem, or could be dead, there was no way to tell from the pics.

So, if anyone here bagged that puppy, I will be happy to make a trade, or buy it from you.

Mark G

Mark

Forgive me for being a pain. I know some people like / collect specific schools of swordsmiths. I have a preference for Hizen-to myself and I can tell you exactly what appeals to me about them. You are not the first person that I have encountered with a likeing for Bungo Takeda (I am assuming it is not simply a price or e-bay thing), I simply would like to know what it is about them that appeals to you and what it is that motivates you to buy Tomoyuki in particular. In fact I believe a Fujiwara Takeda sword has snuck into my collection somewhere and I have a Yukinaga in for oshigata / appraisal at the moment.

Regards

Clive

Clive,

I like Bungo Takata swords because of their utility. All that I have held and/or seen in person have been pure fighting steel.

These smiths copied everyones best ideas. The hada is very nice, on a whole. The Hamons are wonderful. Full of tiny Hataraki, and many have great nie. They range from controlled Suguha, to wild Gunome choji. And it just seems like they were made to come through the fight in one piece.

Why Tomoyuki? Well, my first true Nihonto was my Kanbun Wakizashi "Bungo ju Tomoyuki'

To this day, every time I pick up that sword, I can feel its life. Others who have held it, say the same thing. It has a power. A very hard thing to discribe. That may sound a bit crazy, but no kidding, many people who have held that sword have had the same experience with it.

Being a midieval, full contact martial arts Knight, who plays Samurai half the time, I guess I just felt compelled to round up all the lost Tomoyuki swords I could find. Maybe to see of they all had that feel. But mostly, because it was hard to go wrong.

I now have 5 Bungo Takata swords, and a very nice Naginata viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5099. All have the feel of fighting steel. And to have a sword from each of the 3 generations from 300+ years ago is very cool as well. One day they may all go for paper, just to say they have.

Once I had my Naginata, I felt like I had enough Shinto Takata stuff from the same period. But I will bring home any Tomoyuki that I can afford to. Just hooked that way I guess.

BTW, I love all your books.

Cheers,

Mark Green. aka Sir Marc d'Aubigny/sir Tomoyuki

with my yari, in the thick of it.

post-99-14196759942359_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys.

I also contacted the seller. No word

In the SCA, we use solid ratan swords and some pole arms. That is just short of getting hit with a baseball bat. If you get hit where the armor isn't, or sometimes through your armor, you have no problem telling if the shot would have killed, or badly wounded you. YOU are the judge.

Through training, you learn what the 'NORM' of this 'killing blow' would be. We are all about safe violence. To be a fighter, you have to pass a fighting test, in front of marshals, who decide if you are safe enough or not. Because it is full contact, we can't have any 'crazy' people playing, because people would be getting hurt/killed for real.

Our spears/yari are ratan, or mostly, 9' fiberglass shafts, tipped with 3" wide cell foam padding.

These things hit very hard, even with the padding as my ribs can attest too. I'm still not breathing right from a nasty hit three weeks ago. Again you call the blow. Most of the time you can tell what is good, or your opponent will hit you just a bit harder.

We do single combat tourneys and 2000 on 2000 melees at war.

Google 'Pennsic war' you will get the picture.

I hope this answered your question.

Mark G

am interested in any written sources on Bungo swordsmiths. have a suriage tachi in navy mounts (Sakai mon in silver) that 2 reputable sources say is Bungo Takada (Robson for one). a very tight ko-itame/ko-mokume grain, shaped exactly like the famed Munechika blade. remains of a gimei Hizen signature (all but parts of the Hizen characters themselves are lost to the suriage). narrow suguha with ko-midare, ko-choji and various other tiny activities in nie - lots of kinsuji and chikei. i assume the darkness of Bungo Takada steel is based on ores from that province rather than any eccentric smelting process; do the Kamakura era Bungo smiths also have dark steel? any info would be appreciated. goodwine

Hi John,

Some pics may help.

There were some fine smiths in old Bungo. Not sure how many in Kamakura though.

Normaly, the steel on old Bungo koto swords had a 'milky' looking steel.

But, I'm sure if Mr. Robson, and others say Koto Bungo, That is just about papered.

Send some pics if you can. Start a new thred.

If you read Japanese, there is the 'Bungo To'.

The #1 1979 NCJSC news letter has some info. Someone here may have that.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody, Sorry I am very much off topic.

I am very new to sword collecting. I dont really know too much at all. I was very interested in Mark's comment about the feeling of holding a Tomoyuki blade. For my 30th birthday my father allowed me to choose a blade from his small collection. I began holding one after another and one blade I felt stood out as it felt not only more well balanced, I dont know much but I know a little it had a beautiful curvature and good hamon activity, but that not what made it stand out is stood out because it instantly generated a feeling, similar to those you have decribed, feeling like it still held the ki of those people who had held it before me.

Below are the comments that my father gave me along with the rubbing of the tang after he had given me the blade (no fittings, except tsuba)

Koto Long blade Tomo-Yuki Saku

Part date on other side. Had on it mon Zukashi tsuba

O-surage nakago (shortened or cut off tang) 2 char signature with saku (made this) Date on other side not readable

As I said I am new to this but from what I can tell it might be a worthwhile restoration. It does have some chips but they dont cross into the hamon and it does have a kink but seems to have no flaws that are fatal. It seems to have seen plenty of action throughout its years. (If only swords could talk).

I also read this:

"Entering the Nambokucho Period, there is a smith called Tomoyuki who lived in Takada no Sho and is said to be the founder of the Takada school. The Takada school thrived through up to shinto times. Tomoyuki left tachi and tanto with mei." (Token Bijutsu No.594)Nihon Koto Shi (History of Koto) By Dr. Honma Junji.

Given that Mark you seem to have a particular interest in this style I am interested in any feedback that you or any one may be able to give me, and any more info about the smith. (I dont really care what the material cost is for the blade as the sentimental value is priceless. Although I have to say I am intrigued as it seems, to my untrained eye, like a very nice one and if it is valuable then I would want to get it insured). I also would like to get it restored, but so far have been hessitant as I want to get it done by a person of the appropriate experience.

Thanks look forward to hearing back from you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..