Help on translating NBTHK Hozon Origami

Chriso

I picked up what I think is a very nice papered Katana by Toshizane which I'm in the process of collecting information on. To date I believe that he was a Shin Shinto smith who was also the teacher of both Kiyomaro and Masao, and his Hawleys rating is 35 points Ref TOS354.

Unfortunately at the moment that is all that i have, apart from the NBTHK Origami. Is there anyone that could please give me a hand in translating the text of these papers to help me put together a better picture of this Smith.

I've read Dr Stein's artical on Japanese Sword Authentication Papers, so I have an idea what each column of Kanje represents but not the actual detail on this certificate.

Regards Chris O

post-790-14196759723895_thumb.jpg

post-790-14196759725265_thumb.jpg

As for the information on the smith, there are only the mei and the length of the sword on the paper. The owner's name and the date of issue are written on the reverse.

For the general descriptions, refer to the following page of Nihontocraft.com. It may be helpful.

Ref. Hozon Kanteisho: http://www.nihontocraft.com/japanese_sw ... se_sword_4

Maybe 90 % of its translations are correct. However, the following sections are incorrect.

Sec. 1.,6., and 15. for Tokubetsu Hozon Kanteisho include misunderstandings.

Chris,

You must make an effort

Begin with the easiest which is the date of issue (second column starting from the left) I let you decipher it, go to the Forum kanji page

First two kanji are the era : Not too difficult to find taking into account That NBTHK is a relatively new organisation

Third and fourth : numeral + year (a bit tricky when you don't know the kanji which looks like "moto") when you have found it, you will never forget it in your whole life (believe me)

Fifth/sixth and seventh: numeral + month

eighth + ninth: numeral + day

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so based on my understanding of the references, I've had a go at determining the front of the Origami. I'm unsure in a number of areas so I will keep plugging away.

To date and reading from the right I think I have:

* Kanteisho - An appraisal written in calligraphy

* Blade Length - Nagasa 2 Shaku 1 Bu

* Item Katana - mei - Inaba Toshizani

* Rank is Hozon - Examination by the Tokyo branch has resulted in the decision that the Item is worthy of presevation

* Date paper was written - Hei-sei (1989) 6 year - 12 month - 6 day. (6 December 1989)

* Paper was produced by NBTHK, the organisation is officially recognised as an incorporated foundation

hopeing that at least some of this is correct.

Cheers Chris :dunno:

I am impressed by your effort. :clap:

* Kanteisho - An appraisal written in calligraphy

Kanteisho means an appraisal or a certificate of authenticity.

“Sho (書)” does not mean calligraphy but only means a document in this context. That is misunderstood on the referred site.

* Blade Length - Nagasa 2 Shaku 1 Bu

- Nagasa 2-Shaku 1-Sun

(Notes: 1-Sun = 1/10 Shaku, 1-Bu = 1/100 Shaku)

* Item Katana - mei - Inaba Toshizani

Hitotsu (= 1, but used as a heading of enumerations), katana, mei Toshizane

* Rank is Hozon - Examination by the Tokyo branch has resulted in the decision that the Item is worthy of preservation

This part is misunderstood on the referred site.

Correct: Examination by this organization (當協會 – To-Kyokai)

Incorrect: Examination by Tokyo branch (東京會 – Tokyo-kai)

* Date paper was written - Hei-sei (1989) 6 year - 12 month - 6 day. (6 December 1989)

Heisei Gan-nen (元年 = the first year) 12-gatsu 6-ka – December 6, 1989

BTW, the date of issue written on the back is January 25, 1990. So, I suspect that the date on the front might be the date of the judgment. :?:

As for the smith: KIYOMARO and SANEO were trained by Kawamura TOSHITAKA of Hamabe school. A native of Inaba province, he later moved to Shinano province and worked there for the Ueda family. Your sword is signed: TOSHIZANE. He was also a master of Hamabe school, but remained in Inaba province and took the name Minryushi. He was not connected to Yamaura-school as far as I know. Always suggested that it is this TOSHIZANE meant here.

reinhard

Chris, SEIKEIDO has a very nice Minryushi TOSHIZANE katana for sale right now. It might be interesting for you to compare these two swords:

http://www.nona.dti.ne.jp/~sword/katana/toshizane.html

BTW, some of the pics there are very well illustrating how to make hamon visible in photographs and not just depicting hadori finish.

reinhard

Thanks for the heads up Reinhard, It' a good looking piece that SEIKEIDO has on the website. Pity the text is in Japanese, I'm currently taking a break from trying to determin what the Kanji state. Only kidding.

Best wishes Chris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..