HonJo Masamune translation

Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini

Hi All, This deviates slightly from the Masamune controversy but is an interesting aside I think. It long has been said that certain Indonesian blades were made of meteoric iron and there are many examples of this. How accurate all the claims are, I do not know. However I have a longish monograph published in 1971 by the Smithsonian, Freer Gallery that discusses with metallurgical analyses two early chinese bronze weapons with meteoric iron blades. I wonder, controversy aside, could some swords have been made from this source as well?. I have not seen reference about this in Japan. John

Guest Simon Rowson

Hi John,

I believe that in 1989 the noted swordsmith Yoshihara Yoshindo forged a tanto using the steel from a meteorite which was then exhibited at the Takashimaya Department store in Japan.

All the best,

Simon

Guest Simon Rowson

PS/ I'm sure that I have a photo of said tanto in one of my books or journals.

If I can locate it when I get back from work tonight I'll post it.

Hi Simon, That would be interesting. Although iron meteorites are the rarer type they would be a good source of refined iron. Does any record of earlier use exist? I wonder. John

Hi John,

FYI; Ryusei-to (流星刀)

http://www.geog.or.jp/journal/back/pdf1 ... 53-457.pdf

(written in Japanese)

Two katana and tree tanto was made from meteorite, which were ordered by Enomoto Takeaki (榎本武揚) ca. Meiji 30. One of the katana was given to the prince of the Emperor of Meiji.

Hi John,

FYI; Ryusei-to (流星刀)

http://www.geog.or.jp/journal/back/pdf1 ... 53-457.pdf

(written in Japanese)

Two katana and tree tanto was made from meteorite, which were ordered by Enomoto Takeaki (榎本武揚) ca. Meiji 30. One of the katana was given to the prince of the Emperor of Meiji.

Hey Nobody,

Your link does not work. Maybe you try this one.

http://www.pref.toyama.jp/branches/3044/exh_0406.htm

Lucien

PS, You guys very much funny!!!

Hi Koichi-san, Shows a really pronounced hada, what? Meteoric iron has had an association with divinity eg. The Arthurian mythos alludes to Excalibur being made of such. Surely the source material coming from the heavens would imbue the steel with mystical properties. Anyhow, Lucien, the link worked for me, thanks. John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Simon Rowson

C'mon Stephen (sorry, "Lucien Berry")...... I'm genuinely dissapointed that you gave up on this one with barely a whimper!

I expected more of you after your previous heated arguments as to the validity of your "Honjo Masamune".

Has it rusted to a 9" nail after several months underground or has the "strobe-effect" hamon proved particularly tricky to match to the original oshigata?

I look forward to hearing from you when you can undoubtedly point me in the direction of:

some officials with whom this was graded as the lost sword of Tokugawa family

Especially as it would "please you to watch".

Then I would find out . Ha Ha!! :crazy:

Stephen/Lucien........I'm waiting.

Simon

Guest Simon Rowson

Oh yeah, Stephen

One other thing.

I notice that, during your rant last July on the Sword Forum International, you dedicated a page

to grandpa I.T.

and attached the following picture of Iemasa Tokugawa, which also features on Zack Crebber's totally convincing website.

tokhy4.jpg

So this means that you are actually the grandson of the last Tokugawa to own the Honjo Masamune, right?

Then you are the rightful owner of Japan........hey, no wonder you get so p***ed off when nobody believes you!

Just give me the names of those experts in Japan who validated your Honjo and I'll happily call you "Shogun"!!!

Your willing vassal,

Simon san

I can understand your frustration on the matter, but feel its time to post elsewhere on this and bring the board back to true discussion of Nihonto. Let's please let this one go for now, as everything that can be said has been said.