Auction "help"

Good morning everybody. I'm new to site and I firs want to congratulate for the help that this site can give.

I'm in "trouble". I'm a collector of "other blades" and I'd love to start a Japanese collection because of the magnificent way of working, forging, etc.

Suggestion for a "first piece".

I was looking to this

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=017

but:

It does not "sound good" to me (strange shape IMHO)

Is it safe to buy on ebay? Have you got any "nice" piece you want to sell around 2500 - 3000 usd?

Any suggestion accepted.

Thanking you all in advance

Michele (Italy)

Hi Michele, It is good to buy swords that have a respected certification by qualified institutions. It provides some comfort that the sword is legitimate. However in your first foray into nihonto markets it might be best to deal with an established dealer where you can take as much time as needed to research the sword and ask questions with no clock pushing you. Good luck, John

Hi Michele, è buono da comprare le spade che hanno una certificazione rispettata dalle istituzioni qualificate. Fornisce una certa comodità che la spada è legittima. Tuttavia nel vostro primo foray nei mercati di nihonto potrebbe essere meglio trattare con un commerciante stabilito in cui potete occorrere tan tempo quanto stato necessario per ricercare la spada e per fare le domande senza l'orologio che li spinge. Buona fortuna, John

Thanks for the reply. I'll follow your suggestion and let it go. The second question is:

where I could find a good dealer in Italy?

I met a few days ago a very competent antique seller in Milan, who showed me a couple of beautiful pieces, but the prices were really important (nice katana, dated 1804 w certificate, I liked it very much but 17K usd for my first sword seems lots of money).

I have to tell you that I'm studying. So I decided to study first, and buy later. But I'd like to "take in my hands" a few items just to practice and try to undestand all the differences (ant there are plenty of them) between two swords.

Ebay is a real crap shoot and you need to be careful even when the blade has papers it doesn't follow that the owner has. There are a few real gems that occasionally appear and I have a couple swords that came off ebay at seriously bargain prices. On the other hand I have been straight up scammed for $5000 where nothing arrived. Known dealers with good reputations are always best but there are no bargains. Welcome and lots of luck.

PS I have my first blade for sale at the moment if you want to check it out there are photos at http://www.esnips.com/web/Shinto

Roger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..