north china railway winged wheel stamp

just for arguments sake if it wasnt the railway stamp then what could it be...the showa stamp is a hit and miss attempt and this stamp is in the right position and is a stamp....appears to be part of 2 circles and straight lines. looked around at other stamps and they is nothing it can be and this smith as in the other thread did do the railway stamp....not into parting with it but just curious as i love to see it polished....your views please or explanations

going back and looking at the other post on this, in my minds eye it looks like the mune of the nakago was shaved at one time, the mei looks so very close to it, some of the stamp looks to be lost. to save board time if you can get me a crisp shot of the stamp ill see with i can come up with.

after hours of internet seaching i found on another forum which i had to join to view the post :thanks: the answer.....its kanemune artists signature or kokuin....i think another recent smith called kanezane does the same thing....

http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/kanezane.htm

so i have a katana of good size and balance....possibly mill steel and i think water quenched.

he also took the time to do file marks on the tang and a little kokuin next to his mei.

obviously not the usual machine made blade which was churned out in the 1000s for the war effort. these swords prove that they is grey areas in showa made swords....

here is the stamp from another kanemune sword which mine should look like if the tang had not been shaved off in its past history.....many thanks to stephen for pointing this out...

post-1029-14196758539994_thumb.jpg

most kokuin i have seen are like Kanezane hot stamp, yours and the one posted does not have the same feel to me, more of a kao...this looks like a flaming ball?? any other takes....forgot the rest of the mei ...it has a seki stamp yes? if so i dont think its going to be the exception gindaito that your hoping for. F&G last book has a page with kao,,,sorry i sold mine or id post it.

most kokuin i have seen are like Kanezane hot stamp, yours and the one posted does not have the same feel to me, more of a kao...this looks like a flaming ball?? any other takes....forgot the rest of the mei ...it has a seki stamp yes? if so i dont think its going to be the exception gindaito that your hoping for. F&G last book has a page with kao,,,sorry i sold mine or id post it.

no mine is by fukumoto kanemune....son of fukumoto amihide the famous world war 2 smith...it has the showa stamp only....lol now i have to research kao now

went thru JS book, this is the closest i could find to what it may be, i keep thinking ive seen a flaming ball somewhere on a kao like stamp, oh well here it is.

youll notice you kao/ball does not have same amout of lines coming out as the one you posted.

post-21-14196758541254_thumb.jpg

post-21-14196758541663_thumb.jpg

went thru JS book, this is the closest i could find to what it may be, i keep thinking ive seen a flaming ball somewhere on a kao like stamp, oh well here it is.[attachment=1]KanenobuKao.jpg[/attachment]

youll notice you kao/ball does not have same amout of lines coming out as the one you posted.

yes but part of my kao is missing........

• 6 months later...
Definitely a Hoju or flaming jewel (http://tinyurl.com/y8m8xvq)

Looks like a hot stamp to me and not a kao - does anybody have Fuller & Gregory at hand, I willing to bet we may find it there...

-tom

if you think this kao / hotstamp / kokuin is elusive then see my other post about the one on my kanetoshi katana

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..