Sending swords to the U.S.

Hi all,

I am planning to send a blade to the U.S. and would like to know if there are any facts or legal issues I have to consider (customs declaration, weapons law).

I plan to declare the package as "Japanese work of art".

Any tips on how the shipment works best or any experiences would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Martin

I've never had a problem shipping swords to the USA from the UK.

I usually use "Antique sword over 100 years old". If you write "Japanese Work of Art" customs will sometimes open the package to see whats inside.

This is when, in my experience, thefts can happen as customs never repackage things properly.

Hi Martin, I have never had a problem with swords going into the states except one was damaged by a carrier but legally no problems. It is when I get them back that I have to jump through hoops to prove that they were mine originally. It helps when they are returning that there is a declaration that they have been serviced and being returned. Of course you have to have all the original documents to prove it to the customs on their return. So far no theft. John

Hi Martin, I have never had a problem with swords going into the states except one was damaged by a carrier but legally no problems. It is when I get them back that I have to jump through hoops to prove that they were mine originally. It helps when they are returning that there is a declaration that they have been serviced and being returned. Of course you have to have all the original documents to prove it to the customs on their return. So far no theft. John

due to the economy ( poor state thereof, contrary to what the higher up tells you ), most states are in big budget deficit........ now this little known sh%$# tax they called " user tax " are beginning to kick in.

User tax is one way the states try to recoup loss revenue from the internet.

I received a sword from canada ( NOT sale ) on behalf of a friend just so he dpesn't need to carry it across the international border to attend a sword show. Fed Ex with it's triplicate custom declaration et al......... "big monetary value declared ", even custom broker fee paid ( by the way a rip off as antique over 100 yrs. old are exempt ).

Fully 2 years later, I got a letter from the state saying they are " investigating " a possible " tax recovery " from little ole me !! Not very pleasant when the taxman cometh calling out of the blue !!

Not saying this will happen to anyone , but just be aware that any time big $ declared for insurance purpose, the taxman may smell opportunity and decide to go on a fishing expedition.

milt THe ronin

Up here we have a tax that applies to services received eg. polish, restoration etc. and this applies to services done outside of the country. Free money for 'big brother', which I think is unconstitutional but you can't fight them unless you are willing to let them hold your stuff for a couple of years while litigation proceeds. To top it all off, here, it is illegal to sue the crown, which is who the government represents (not us). I'll stop bitching now but taxes really suck. John

• 1 month later...

This is all very interesting, I am planning on sending a sword to the states for appraisal but not very fond of postal services. A friend of mine is going there in 10 days and I am thinking of having him take the sword. Does anybody know if he might encounter problems at the border? Dont want to get him into trouble either :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Can UTKAN

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..