HELP PLEASE

gumanthon

Hi John,

I can´t decipher the last two characters, but apart from that, the

signature reads "Noshû-jû Shizu Saburô Kaneuji XX" (濃州住志津三郎兼氏),

meaning "Shizu Saburô Kanuji, resident of Mino province".

For me, it looks like an amateurish "attribution" and was IMHO probably

carved later onto the blade.

For your information: Shizu Saburô Kaneuji is a big name and therefore

such an "attribution" has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Maybe someone is able to decipher the last two characters, so this may

put a new complexion on this matter. :?:

Hi, Thank you for the information a little late because I have already purchased it. I have put a link so that you can see more pictures now. On the top of the kissaki there are polishing lines I have never seen this before....has any one any idea's....nakago there is one character does this mean anything? or any information would be gratefully received thanks again. Regards John

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0387624143

Polishing lines like that are supposed to be there on a professional polish.

Not sure how professional this one is...but they are correctly done.

As for the blade...could be a child's sword or a short wakizashi or..?

I agree the mei isn't well done, and shouldn't be there. But it has a nice looking hamon and you didn't overpay at that price.

Brian

This looks like an amateur student work. Some things look well done and others less so. The shinogi as it goes into the nakago, the yasurime, the engraving, the fuchi koiguchi etc. seem less than perfect. The hamon is different, but, OK and the polish is not bad either. The nakago seems to have an age patina or is well done. Funny little beast this one. John

Hi, Just from an interest point a friend of mine had a thought that the sword might be a miniture replica Nihonto probably made for puppet shows pre 1800 which he has seen before. Also he says the signature would then be correct being done at a 1/5th scale to usual. It is much harder to forge and make and appeals highly apparently to the theatrical market in Japan. Do you think that this theory could hold any water or is pure bungkum.

With Best Regards John. :crazy:

Hi I understand what you mean now by bunraku sword very interesting have any of you ever seen one of these swords ? Out of curiosity is it possible to get my sword papered by the NBTHK ? or would they not verify a miniture Nihonto ?Thank you again Kind regards John. :beer:

The old eBay listing has been removed, so how about giving us some measurements and a single overall picture?

I don't think this is a miniature Nihonto at all..just a small wakizashi. Don't jump to conclusions just yet given some possibilities.

Brian

Hi Brian, Thank you for letting me know the pictures are no longer there, I have posted some more pictures and here are the measurements = The cutting edge is 9 1/16th inch with an overall length of 14 1/4 inch when fully seated in the scabard. and under an inch wide. These are approx.measurements as I have not as yet received the sword. Kind Regards John.

post-1119-14196758221059_thumb.jpg

post-1119-14196758222119_thumb.jpg

post-1119-14196758223161_thumb.jpg

post-1119-14196758224946_thumb.jpg

post-1119-14196758226576_thumb.jpg

Well. I personally judge it by the size of the habaki and nakago. Too small to be of practical wakizashi use. It would be nice if someone could place for instance a package of sigarettes next to it for scale reference.

I have once seen three Bunraku swords (early to mid edo period) in a museum display about Japanese culture & theatre in the Netherlands, which also had the magnificent dolls on display. All were forged, all had hamon and all were nihon-to, but well... small, very small nihon-to. substantially smaller than even boys days swords.

That is, when looking at the habaki and nakago, and having seen the sizes of the Bunraku dolls and hands, i would still go for that idea... however since Japanese love miniatures of all kinds, this even might have been a smith's special gift to someone...

I have been interested in Bunraku since i was 10 years old and my parents let me watch an awesome Bunraku play on television during the Holland Festival, after which i got the book: the Master Puppeteer from them and well even tried making my own puppets.. I still find it the most thrilling and beautiful puppet theatre ever, even better than the marionette stuff Europe had in the 17 and 18th century...

KM

94685-004-A4420460.jpg

a great link which also has some nice vids :

http://www2.ntj.jac.go.jp/unesco/bunraku/en/

I think there were sode-to for women who were small though i do not know exactly what the name was either...

The puppets i saw were ornate! and the swords themselves too by the way... great looking tachi mounts, fuchi-kashira, tsuba, etcetera... also a lot of the other miniature stuff was looking awesome!! its like having a Did or Alfrex samurai doll 5 times or more the size... and even the face moves!

KM

here is one doll pulling its sword...

bunraku1.jpg

and a Lord's setting:

bunraku-205.jpg

The fight of Yoshitsune and Benkei:

bridge1.gif

A samurai

ehontaikoki.jpg

KM

I think it's clear from the scale pics that this isn't a regular wakizashi or tanto.

I vote for Boy's Day sword, but could be for Bunraku. You likely won't know which one for sure.

The small kanji on the nakago appears to be for "10" but not sure why.

A good attempt at the blade inscription might help solve the puzzle.

Brian

Hi Guys, Thank you for the interesting comments maybe Brian the 10 on the nakago is for a boy's tenth Birthday if it is a boy's Day Sword. Yes it would be very nice to have a translation of the inscription on the blade but I guess this is very difficult because it can only be done by comparison. Kind Regards John.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but that is no mei, it is a quote of some kind.. what is on the nakago?

I meant photos of the part which is in the hilt, with the hole in... :

download/file.php?id=9934

download/file.php?id=9935

look closely under your hand in the second pic... it shows some kind of chiseled cross indentation...

Could you send clear close up pics of both sides of the nakago please ??

KM

but that is no mei, it is a quote of some kind..

I wish someone could translation the quote of some kind

Didn't you read the 2nd and the 3rd posts in this thread?

(濃州住志津三郎兼氏之鍛 - Shizu Saburô Kaneuji, resident of Mino province, forged this.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..