Patterns on Fuchi and Kashira

sencho

Anyone have any other information on these types of patterns?

These patterns are on a Fuchi and Kashira on Koshirae I own. I have been trying to find out more about the designs, but I cannot find any visual examples of similar designs. I have also seen the design on some Tsuba on commercial sites such as:

http://www.japanesesword.com/Images/Swo ... 00s_81.htm

and

http://tsuba.jyuluck-do.com/HeianjyoShi ... Tsuba.html

whcih is on a nice little Tsuba site I found if anyone is interested - http://tsuba.jyuluck-do.com

Anyway here is what I found from an Art and Architectuarl site:

raimon 雷文. A architectural design pattern thought to be based on flashes of lightning. Besides this, the pattern is used on architecture, sculpture, lacquer, ceramics, metalwork, and occasionally on dyed and printed fabrics. This info from a great site on Japanese architecture "JAANUS" http://www.aisf.or.jp/%7Ejaanus/

or based on

sayagata 紗綾形. A design pattern of interlocking swastikas, manji 万字(卍). Most sources agree that the term (a contraction of sa-ayagata, meaning "gossmaer figured-cloth pattern") originated from the type of cloth on which it was most often found. It occurs first perhaps in ancient Indian architecture, but did not enter Japan until the Tenshou 天正 era (1573-92) when Chinese fabrics bearing the pattern were first imported in large quality. In the Edo perios, it was commonly used on firured satin and combined with designs that featured chrysanthemus, plum blossoms, bamboo, or orchids. It also appeared on the borders of rugs, blankets and table clothes.

Anyway I personally find this design strikingly modern on fittings that are over 400 years old. Fantastic!

Cheers

post-7-14196734412216_thumb.jpg

post-7-1419673441296_thumb.jpg

post-7-14196734414136_thumb.jpg

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nigel,

aka. Keyfrett design.

I cannot add much. As your post notes, it often comes up around the repeating pattern of the Buddhist "reverse swastika". It could also be based upon the Japanese design rendering of lighting & thunder.

You see it used alot set in shakudo. Often in kaga kinko, and sometimes in the more rare Owari kinko. There are some Akasaka tsuba that use it as their design through softer iron.

I've attached an image of what I believe to be an Owari kinko tsuba with keyfrett. It is made of shakudo with gold wire insert.

You are welcome to visit us in Sarasota when you feel like it. Weather is finally nice over here.

If possible, could you post a photo of the tsuba that is on this koshirae of yours?

post-51-14196734424684_thumb.jpg

Hi Curran,

Thanks for your reply. The tsuba on the Koshirae bears no pattern like this it is fairly plain. I'll be happy to post it even though.

The stlye just blows me away. the intricate patterns are incredible. This is what spurred me to buy the entire sword/koshirae package in the first place.

It is a wakazashi dated 1573 (tensho). I have been thinking of purchasing a tsuba to match the design and swapping this with the existing tsuba.

What do you think?

BTW... love to come to Sarasota some time. We are in Ft Lauderdale now, although it was like being back in England this last week!!

Cheers

Hi Rich,

Thanks, Raimon is what i have seen it called too.

So what does Sayagata (the interlocking swastikas) look like then? I can definitely see swasitkas in this pattern on the fuchi and kashira, and on Currans tsuba too.

I'd be interested to see an example of that if anyone knows of one.

Cheers

Hi Nigel, yes, sorry, it appears to be a combination of both doesn't it. Both Raimon and Manji. What sort of examples are you looking for, other variations of this style of work ? from reference books ? or just general images.

There is one here at Ginza Choshuya

http://www.choshuya.co.jp/newmain/baihin/tousougu/122/122.htm

I saw these in Tokyo and they are amazing.

and another at E Sword

http://www.e-sword.jp/sale/0610_6070syousai.htm

Just as a note. it is probably actually wrong to call this design a swastika as it is the mirror image, and a lot older than the swatika from what I understand.

cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes the first link is what I am looking for. As you say, the fuchi and kashira on my Koshirae seems to be a combination of the two forms. The Sayagata is a more regulated form, while the Raimon seems to be a little more free.

Although saying that I have seen a "raimon" design which has a very ordered pattern too.

I had never seen the interlocked manji pattern with a text saying "THIS IS SAYAGATA" so I was never sure what it actually looked like.

Looking at the fuchi and kashira (and the second tsuba you linked to), you can almost imagine the Sayagata as clouds and the Raimon as the lightening streaking down from them!

The daisho tsuba are absolutely magnificent, aren't they?

Thanks very much - now I need a tsuba like this to go with my koshirae!

Cheers

Nigel,

Yes, that tsuba is one of mine. I haven't bothered to paper it yet, so the statement "Owari Kinko" is only my opinion after being pointed in the right direction by Alan Bale a while back. Peter K over in Miami loaned me a book on it. It may even be an unsigned 'Norisuke' (that is a whole other kettle of worms...) but Norisuke I and Norisuke II mostly worked in iron.

As always, Rich T's links are very good. I like the one iron Edo Higo tsuba he showed you. Price was good too.... hmmmm! ;-)

Parusing one of his links also led me to another tsuba I am interested in, so the Edo Higo tsuba is probably safe from me. Work has had me too busy to visit many of the Japanese sites in a while. Seems I'm missing out. I'll need to find the time somehow!

I believe Tokugawa Art had a good example of 'Sayagata' but it may have sold or my memory may be faulty. I'll go looking for it after work finishes today.

Hi Curran and Martin,

Thanks for your info

I'm jealous of your tsuba Curran!! he he he. Looked on Tokugawa, but did not see anything.... also looked in their sold items.

I will get myself one like this soon, whether it will be the full on sayagata design or the seemingly mix of sayagata and raimon, like Martin's right there and the one that Rich linked to.

Maybe the mixed design will go with the Koshirae, being that the Fuchi and Kashira have the mixed design.

Anyway the hunt is on...

Cheers

Nigel,

Today accelerated on me, so I've been busy until now. I did look at Tokugawa. On "Tuba" page two they do have a shakudo one with the lightening & thunder keyfrett. Not the Man (reverse swastika) pattern I was trying to find.

I remember it being part of a complete koshirae with the Man all over. O well. Cannot find it now.

Thank you for the comments on my tsuba. It was a lucky find purchased from a bad photo. It is very nice, but extremely dense and heavy. I've enjoyed having it. To think I almost passed on purchasing from the original photo sent me! My only complaint is someone "numbered" it in the upper left part of the seppa dai (look closely at the photo).

While looking at Tokugawa today, I noticed another nice tsuba up at a very fair price. I need to visit the websites more often.

Hi All, Just some more info regarding manji and its origins. According to the authorities the man symbol occured independently in various cultures about the same time that basket weaving started within those cultures. It is the right (90 degree) angled patterns produced in weaving that created notice of the symbol. Basket weaving was quite an achievment in primitive culture. In the pic below of a tea ceremony basket you can make out the pattern. Humble beginnings for a symbol that has so much significance throughout time, eh?

teabasket2.gif

Hi Pete and Curran,

Glad you survided the artic conditions last week, Pete!! Those Fuchi and Kashira are great. Felt like I was back in England!

My goal now is to get something of the quality of Currans tsuba or (in my dreams possbly) one like Rich T's link to Ginza Choshuya.

Again the combination of an ordered manji/sayagata pattern (manji being the reverse swastika, sayagata being the pattern of interlocking manji, I beleive) and a raimon pattern together, intrigues me the most and would compliment the fuchi and kashira.

I have checked out Katanajap previosuly Milt, but cannot seem to find him on ebay now.... must be doing something wrong. I wish he had prices on his site.

Curran, you refer to much of this as "keyfrett" design. Where does that term originate from... obviously I am thinking it as an ajective referring to fretwork - ornimental item using strips of wood or metal.

Thanks guys

Cheers

Hi Nigel, What arctic conditions? I just finished fueling an icebreaker here in a blizzard. The last fueling as the ice is getting pretty thick. Thank god it only took 6 1/2 hours of freezing hell. The key fret design is not necessarily based on 'man' but refers to straight line 90 degree designs that imitate old style keys. Actually 'fret' is sufficient by itself as in 'fret work'. 'Fret' comes from 'freter' which is a french verb 'to adorn'. You can see this design in a lot of old churches in the woodwork for example. It seems to me a very common embellishment in Asian artwork esp. pottery.

John

This is a Chinese piece. Ch'ing. It has simple 'key fret'

khmain.jpg

Ouch! Ratehr you than me John!! I don't think I'll be bringing a yacht up there any time soon. There are a few that head to the PNW in the summer though and all the way to Alaska.

I was (tongue in cheek) refering to the low 42 degree F (5.5 C) temps we had here in Fort Liquordale last week.... No problem for an English boy such as myself, but some of the locals felt it!!

Back in the 80's F (27+ C) this week though!!

Thanks for the further explanation, on the key fret design. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Nigel, You may find this interesting. Over the years we have had many yachts come through this way, the attraction being the northwest passage. Copper clad 'Dagmar Ahn' under sail, a Norwegian fishing boat to a 4 masted bark as well as a host of sailed or motor vessels. Some make it and some don't. One fellow spent 3 years during the navigation seasons to try to make it and finally sold his 42 footer- cheap!! after going broke and losing 3 crews. Had one bunch of Irish sailors come into harbour and were absolutely crestfallen when told the nearest liquor store was 200 miles away. It can be quite an adventure. I've had 25 years sailing on the Arctic Ocean and there are sights here that very few people will ever see. Sailing under the northern lights through ice with a phosphorescent wake, wow! Thought I'd share, what a job. John

Here`s a tsuba with somewhat a similar design. Not as nice as your fuchi-kashira tho...but it is for sale :-)

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... yousai.htm

I also found this on a browse yesterday. This is truly a beautiful pice with the pattern you have got on your fuchi-kashira and some others added to it aswell. Don`t think this one is for sale tho.

http://www.shakudoya.com/g3.html

Have a nice day Gentlemen!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..