tadamitsu?

ShuShinKan

He thinks it became shortened because of a law stating that it is forbidden to carry a sword longer than 60 cm

NO, he is totally mistaking :) and he mixes a lot of different undigested information. I let you tell me why, that's part of education.

congratulations Jean, 1000 posts now!

I do not really see the shortening story because the nakago is well formed and the mei is in right place. Anyhow it is a chiisa katana.

I do not understand putting a date on a sword when it is not exact, but maybe i am thinking to much european style....

I have ordered a book but it will take some 2 weeks before it shows up here at my place, so will need to look up on the internet.

Some more questions. I looked up at jssus-knowledge base about the kanji and there are 3 smith registered with the same kanji. I also got better fotos now so it should be bizen no kuni jo osafune tadamitsu , but i am quite unsure about the osafune - signs, osa is right but fune i cannot find the kanji anywhere.

Could somebody please please give me some more background on dating practices?

post-1356-14196757852457_thumb.jpg

post-1356-14196757853431_thumb.jpg

It is easily corrected :D :D

The year indicates the peak of production of the smith. Meaning you can take a period of 30 year, 15 before and after 1504 so it includes other Tadamitsu smiths.

G..?

What Jean is saying here, is that the lists of smiths and the dates there are an average date. They worked before and after that date.

Smiths signed precisely...the date is the date the sword was made. But if you have a sword dated 1504, and there are smiths listed as working in 1504, 1485, 1520 and 1499....it could be made by any one of them. It is an average date they worked in.

Then you have to use the workmanship and style of mei to work out which one it is. Often you will never know exactly which smith made it...just one of a few choices.

I have a Tadamitsu too...will never know exactly which one made it unless I pay for polish and papers. Just how it works sometimes.

Brian

Edit to add: I have edited your own pic and re-uploaded to show the kanji and which is which. The (no) is a reading that is implied and read, but not written. You can find the "Osafune" kanji here

Great work Brian,

Now I start to get on it again, and finally understand.

Wonder about the length of the katana, it is quite short, but why? made for a child?! joking!

Many mysteries, but I wonder that a smith who is registered active later than the stamp should not be the hottest tip.... There are somehow constraints in time-space... As there can be gaps in the registering, i would assume its further the -15 than the +15 years.

Gunther

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..