Mei translation

hindsite

Hello all,

I am new to the world of Nihonto. I received this blade from my grandfather and I have no idea what the mei says. I have tried to translate it, and have spent many hours VERY frustrated. I even drafted a friend of mine who grew up in Japan to help and she couldn't read it. Any help you guys could provide would be most beneficial as this blade does have tarnish/rust from fingerprints, and I want to get it professionally polished. Im not going to do that though until I know what I have.

post-1355-14196757570197_thumb.jpg

I will answer with a break down of what it means.

1) Shinshinto-swords made after 1781 until 1876; Musashi no Kuni-the province in which the swordsmith lived; (Kansei:1789)-the date around which the smith was most active

2) Juyo-some sword/s have reached a high level of craftmanship, Jojo-saku-a rating of smith's ability

3)MAS922-ID# for reference; 70 pts-arbitrary point system by Hawley, the higher the better 70 is fairly high; TT-Toko Taikan-a reference book; Y5.5M-a monetary average value of this smiths work, think of it as a number to compare with other smiths and not a real money value

4)same as Tomohichi TOM452, Asahichi ASA2, S330-other names the smith used

5) signatures one may find of this smith

John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..