Holy grail or not?

Rabro

Hi all, This is my first time with the serious people.

I live in Chile where there is amost no information, expertise or prensence of nihonto. Also I am a blade man who knows next to nothing about blades and less about fittings. That said, I recently found 50 tsubas that are part of the residue from an auction of an important Japanese collection that took place here in 2002.

The original auction included some 700 tsubas amognst other things and was attended by dealers from around the world. We can therefore safely assume that the gems were sold. I am having enough trouble getting my head around blades and have not therefore entered into fittings but I would be more than happy to collect information for those of you that are into tsubas.

As I know nothing and in an attemp to not waste your or my time, my question is, What do you guys need to know? and or What are the basic photographic requirements that will provide usefull pictures?

These remains from the auction are currently in a tin box under the desk of the owner in an office in Santiago. Quite a few of them are signed.

If there is enough interest I will happily collect info, photos and prices.

Let me know

Roger

Hi Roger, First- send the box to me and I will return those I don't want.

Kidding!!!

Take some good pics with a digital camera or even easier scan them and we all can have a good look and try to assess what has been left over from the auction. If you want I could host them temporarily for all to see. John

Hi Roger,

Once you post the major pics of tsubas here, and emborsed by our gurus, my suggesting is to send your message to this Japanese weekly TV program called "Nanedeno Kanteda" featuring all about antiques findings. A friend of mine was in this program two/three years ago with one tanto dating back to Heian period. The price came out to be Yen 15,000,000. They need surprise. Bet they will pay all the expenses, first class round trip, if you could persude them. It's all in Japanese. Mister Nobody may help you translate. Hope to see you both at the show! Wish you all luck.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/kantei/irai/irai.html

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..