Would appreciate some help

Rabro

Hi Roger,

I agree with Henry. It looks like a well made Chinese fake.

In nakago area (pic 8), there are three nakago ana, but two are positioned in an odd place.

In the hasaki (pic 6), I couldn't see any yokote.

The hada might have been acid (pic 5) and looks like ayasugi.

Ichi

While not all nihonto have a yokote, this "specimen" does have the tell-tale signs of being fake. The kissaki is very poorly formed; and even when the yokote is absent, the kissaki is usually well-shaped.

It looks like a high-end Chinese counterfeit.

DaveF.

Probably fake, due to bad nakago and kissaki, as all other stated before me. Hope it didn't cost much, the "secret" is gathering all the knowledge before first purchasing, and then buy only from reputable dealers and prefer papered swords. Mike

Hmm...this one is a difficult one to say anything about with certainty. Has many traits of a fake..but then it has a shape that is better than the usual fakes, and I haven't seen a 2 piece habaki on a fake yet..especially one that looks like it is part shakudo?

There is definitely some acid or ferric chloride treatment there...and what looks like an ayasugi hada as was mentioned. I have seen worse kissaki shapes on neglected Nihonto, but it is definitely off.

The nakago has 2 added holes that might have been an amateur mounting job, or used to display it on a wall or something. Not even typical for a fake..especially with the one ana in the right place. The nakago shape is very rough, and not well done or aged.

Am I seeing some nioi brought out by ferric chloride (bad!) or is it just a fake hamon?

This one will need more pics to be certain. I wouldn't write it off completely yet..but wouldn't get excited either. In hand...most of the more advanced collectors will know immediately. Are you near any sword clubs?

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..