cannot make this mei out

loiner1965

I think that sign indicates Auctiva hosting (used on auctions)

If so...I just want to politely mention that using the translation section for every item that someone is looking at on eBay and interested in purchasing, is abusing this system a bit. Even posting them in the eBay section is taking advantage.

This forum can't translate every item that people are looking at purchasing, and would lead to people being unwilling to assist in translations.

Not saying it is the case here, but please use this section within reason. It is mainly for items you own, or have a serious personal need of a translation for.

If it IS for an ongoing auction, then at least post that fact so that people can decide if they have the time and inclination to do the research.

Thanks,

Brian

its for research only as i have no intention to buy....i enjoy my lesure time in finding old blades people have and researching the smith and school to the best of my knowledge. i even tell the seller the translation. i find this relaxing and its a easy way of increasing my nihonto knowledge,

i can fully understand guido responce stephen but what better way to study a blade is they....i suppose this forum could have a beginners page where study blades with simple 2 character kanji are shown without revealing no other information until a certain elapse time as expired.

we all start from the beginning as i am and with experience and time we hopefully get to a level where the top guys are.

if they is no new blood in any sport or forum then it will surely soon decease.

many thanks stephen for your reply

Steve,

There are easier ways to research, trust me. Especially when eBay swords have nothing to offer in the way of study from pics besides mei to translate (and there is no shortage of mei to translate)

Sellers should also be doing their own research before listing. I would hate to tell someone what a mei is, and then the sword is returned to them as gimei and they come back to you.

Plus you will never know for sure if it is gimei or not, and never be able to study the blade itself from an auction. So it's not really an option worth pursuing. Better to get Nihonto Koza etc, and study those, or look at swords on the dealer's pages and try the mei before reading the answers.

As stated, asking for eBay translations causes a problem for most who are spending time doing them, so let's respect them and mention it at least, or post in the eBay section.

End of topic.

Brian

Edit to add: I deleted some replies to bring this to a conclusion.

Sorry Steve, but I have to add:

You said, what better way to study a blade...

I would say...what worse way to study a blade...?

All you are doing is studying a mei, and not a blade in this way. And then you still have no way of knowing the answer for sure unless it has papers.

If you want to learn how to translate mei, grab Grey's flashcards. Best way to learn.

Also..browse the dealer sites listed above. Save the pics...and then try the mei. Then you can go back and check the answers. Anything is better than using ebay to try and learn about Nihonto.

Brian