Hi All, I had a chance to see the exhibition and hear the presentation on the weekend and must say it was world class,I was heartened to see a few older ladies in the crowd diligently taking notes and then asking questions. I had the chance to speak to Collin and quickly understood where the passion and expertise comes from. To all that contributed to that, well done. So if you find yourself in Sydney it’s a must see. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Important notice regarding the sword display and the Art Gallery of New South Wales. About the 28th of April the display will be taken down to make way for a different gallery exhibit.

The word display will eventually go back in but maybe not until next year. Please get along and view it while you can. If anyone has a reasonable camera it would be nice if you can post some pics here.

Regards Mark

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am very happy to announce that the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) has opened its 'Bushido' Exhibition which will run from July 4th to November 4th. Congratulations go to Colin McDonald who was the man behind the 'swords as art' display at the Art Gallery of New South Wales and now the National Gallery of Victoria.

The NGV website link can be found here. http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/exhi ... he-samurai

I know Colin worked hard on his part of the display. We hope you can get along and if you are based overseas feel free to ask questions or request photos.

Kind Regards

Mark

The first pic is Colin himself talking to a collector (we hope) of the future.

post-1148-14196917270519_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196917276241_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196917277214_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196917281407_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196917282741_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

Here is an update of the Bushido display at the National Gallery of Victoria (NVG). The feedback from the Gallery has been excellent, the display being a very popular attraction. Floor talks by NGV staff have been a hit, covering many aspects of samurai life.

Colin has made himself available to collectors for a meetup and chat at the NGV. Anyone from the NMB who would like a personal tour of the collection can pm me and I will arrange a time and date to meet Colin at the Gallery. This is a great opportunity to get a first hand explanation as to why some swords are viewed as Art.

Regards

Mark

post-1148-14196920541988_thumb.jpg

post-1148-1419692054739_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196920550434_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196920554454_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196920561252_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196920566195_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update,

On Saturday the 6th Colin gave a floor talk at the National Gallery of Victoria covering the sword as art. It was very well attended and met with a round of applause at the conclusion. Andrew Ickeringill also attended the talk. Feedback from the Gallery has been great with them saying it has been the most popular short term (free to public) display so far. A reminder that the display will close November 4. Regards Mark

post-1148-14196933289145_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196933294399_thumb.jpg

Would be great on so many levels to have more of these museum shows of private collections, complete with educational content. There are suitable museum sites all over the US, for example, and many collectors with quality items- putting the two together for short term exhibits would expose a much greater part of the populace to the art and culture surrounding our treasures. What a great way to stimulate interest and potentially nurture new collectors....

Would be great on so many levels to have more of these museum shows of private collections

We did this at the Morikami Museum. It was an awesome display of many high level swords and armor. It was well attended by many non-collectors. However, not many "Japanese Sword Collectors" took the time to go. Even many of the local guys never got around to going. Maybe, not such a bad thing, as we are a bunch of codgers. 8)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am pleased to announce that a major display of swords, fittings and armour has opened in the Art Gallery of New South Wales. Colin has excelled himself again to now have TWO major displays running at the same time at two of the leading galleries in Australia. New South Wales and the National Gallery of Victoria.

I was lucky enough to be with Colin when the display was installed and saw how painstakingly demanding he was of himself to get the display right. It looks great and hope that Australian Collectors can get there for a review. This display opened on October 25 and will go for 1 year. Please note that the Display at the NGV will finish of the 4th of November, so Melbourne collectors don't miss out.

Thanks again to Colin for presenting another quality display, great to be part of it.

Regards

Mark

post-1148-14196943834827_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196943837372_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196943842011_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196943845186_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196943848314_thumb.jpg

post-1148-14196943852981_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hello.

I went to the exhibition at the AGNSW yesterday, and would highly recommend anyone in Sydney to do the same. The exhibition is nicely laid out, making it very easy to see the detail in some very fine swords, fittings and armour. My observation of non Nihonto people at the exhibition, is they very interested all the items (eaves-dropping is always good for a laugh) and the exhibition was well attended. Congrats to all involved.

Cheers.

Mike Smith

Sydney Australia.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone. Well the display of art swords and armour at the Art Gallery of New South Wales will close on the 8th of February. Please get along and see it if you can. Here is an instagram link which talks of the display. https://www.instagram.com/p/-Us6dYuYOs/ I hope the link works.

Officially I want to thank Colin for putting on these displays spanning over a decade, I think since 2001, and the other collectors who generously lent pieces for display. Also thank you to the Art Gallery of New South Wales who have been supportive for so many years, presenting swords and fittings as art to the public. Also the National Gallery of Victoria for their display which was haled as the most popular temporary display on record. Also Benalla and Hamilton Galleries for their displays. Mark

• Like 2

Thank you for updating on this over the years.

It has been a touchstone and rolemodel for how I would ultimately like to have displayed my much smaller collection.

I wish life was such that I could attend these displays in person.

Thank you for the photographs.

• Like 2

Hello Mark, Im from Vic and had no idea there was any Samurai stuff to look at here. I havnt really looked at this section as it seems all the shows etc are in the US and Europe. Have the Vic and Benella galleries got swords and armour to see or have they lent there stuff to the Nsw gallery? Does anyone know where swords / armour are in Vic to see? Thank you.

Greg

Hi Greg. The Sydney display with the exception of some occassional down time has been an ongoing effort starting in 2001. I recommend you jump on a plane and go visit before in closes. You will be glad you did, it is International Level. Don't wait in hope that it will happen again any time soon. All swords displayed have been from private collections lent to the galleries. Like i said get up there. Mark

Hi Mark, unfortunately im not going to be able to make it and i am quite disappointed to miss it. Im planning on getting to Sydney this year to meet with with a new friend i met here (Nmb) and if im really lucky there may be something else Nihonto worth seeing. I know im missing a special display. If anyone has any more pics i would love to see them all please. All the best.

Greg

• 5 weeks later...

The Curtain Has Closed. Well, Colin and I have just returned from Sydney having taken down the display at the Art Gallery of New South Wales. This particular display was in for about 1.5 years and all displays spanned about 15 years (since 2001) with some occasional down time. A great achievement presenting swords as art to the public. Watching Colin install and remove displays with pain staking attention to detail was a great personal lesson to me. No-one has done more for the 'swords as art' in this country than him.

Well the curtain has closed for now. Thanks Colin.

post-691-0-11598400-1455137381_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-96714000-1455137422_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-87520200-1455137480_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-26297600-1455138139_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..