Moving to Japan - Best way to send/transport swords= ?

kenk

Hi All,

I'm going to be moving to Japan at the end of December of this year, and am planning to bring the 2 swords that I own (1 shishinto; 1 shinsakuto) with me.

I understand that I can either (i) take them with me on my flight to Narita, then declare them at Customs, where they'll give me a temporary license which I would then need to follow-up with a formal license; or (ii) send them via the mail and have them held at the Tokyo International Post Office until a designated date on which they will be inspected prior to issuance of the license.

Have any of you gone through one of these procedures or both?

If you have any suggestions on which approach would be preferable (in terms of convenience; reduced risk of loss or damage; surety in getting a license; etc.), I'd be very glad to hear them!

Thank you!

Ken

Ken,

While I don't know too much about the process in Japan, at the top of the forum there is a link called "Japanese Sword Laws" that is an excellent article that should answer many of your questions.

The link is http://www.nihontokanjipages.com/japane ... _laws.html

Guido Schiller is very knowledgeable about this topic, and is a member here. Hopefully he will see this and chime in with some additional advice.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks very much, Brian, for your response.

I've printed out a copy of the very informative and useful link.

Thanks also, Guido, for your advice.

I'm leaning towards taking them with me personally, but, as a dealer that I know in Japan has offered to visit the Int' Post Office in Tokyo to take care of the licensing papers for me (after I provide some kind of proxy letter or power of attorney form), I'm considering that as well...

Thanks again and all the best,

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..