Help please:WW2 nco gunto type 35 katana Machine Made 'Junk&

Gogoto123

Gogoto123,

There is one instance where NCO contains "Yasu kuni blade". I think if my memory served me correctly was "Yasuyoshi". I was very surprised. However, the blade was bolted on the handle and the owner was forced to removed it. That is how he discovered the Gendaito blade. Most of the time, it is machine made but they are very sound after for militaria collection especially the early version with a copper handle.

I once saw a NCO sword with an antique blade. It had not been changed since he war so must have been something custom for the NCO. That was rare, i bet i have seen a thousand NCO swords and this was the only one with other than machine made blade

Mark Jones

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting! I just picked up my "Masayuki" blade in shin-gunto mounting, on which i will start a thread soon, it is definetely a commissioned officers blade, and Nihon-to/gendai-to, so no NCO one,

and i have discovered something which makes me even more certain it is by him....or it might even be older!! but more about that later...

The Numbers on the gunto seppa/tsuba all correspond and are of a fairly low count...

Now my question is this: are there or have there ever been number lists of gunto mountings and to whom they have been handed out...?

if so, do they still exist?

KM

The swords in question here are NCO shin gunto with the cast aluminium handles. There must be thousands of regular shin gunto with older family blades, and they are definitely not all that uncommon.

As for the serial numbers..these numbers on the tsuba, tsuka and seppa are assembly numbers, not serial numbers. They are to keep the whole lot together during assembly when they have been hand fitted. There are certainly no lists anywhere of any swords and to whom they have been issued to my knowledge.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..