Mei Translation of Two Swords

1druid1

Hi All

Due to personal circumstances I am having to sell of certain items, I have two swords that I have had for a few years and would like to know who the smith was and if they are worth anything. I have linked to the Mei Kanji for both swords.

Sword 1

Sword1.jpg

Sword 2

Sword2.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Dougie

Dougie,

A number of things look odd about these. I have seen filemarks like the top one once before on a Shin Gunto, but they are far from typical. The mei look like they are small and not cut the typical way? Are these modern swords or WW2 or "otherwise"?

If possible, please upload a few other blade/kissaki pics to the Photobucket account, and see if you can also upload these mei reading from top to bottom, as it is easier to read.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi All

Thanks for the replys..

The Paul Chen sword makes sense as both swords were given to me as a gift, I remeber my friend saying something about a Practical Iado cutting sword by Paul Chen, so this will be the first photo if my comparrison to the link supplied is correct.

The second sword I am not sure of, I beleive it is a genuine crafted sword but I would say modern, it may also be chinese as I am not 100% sure, again this was a gift, from the looks of the sword and tang, I would guess it is 8 - 9 years old at the best. Just curious if the Sword Smith is a established Sword Maker and if it may be worth anything.

Cheers

Dougie

It's a sword made by Chen Chaopo ("Paul Chen") made for Nôshû Iaidô (some characters aren't written properly, however). In other words: a modern sword made in China (but not a fake per se).

I think the first sword is a Paul Chen sword while the 2nd ( a different sword ) was made by a different smith for Noshu Iaido club.

Just my opinion ( ususlly wrong ), of course.

milt

according to one of the message poster ( , Red Lotus the nameless rider ) ..........

there are 4 grades of sword manufactured that go by 4 different names.The second one listed on this thread here belongs to the ' lower grade ".

濃洲居合堂所出品的鋼刃居合刀,總共分為清舟、兼光、兼之、兼元四等級型號。

( 4 grades, Chin-Ju < clear? boat >, Kanemitsu, kaneyuki, Kanemoto )

milt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..