nihonto kanji pages is not available?

mortum

hello anyone,

i just wanna know what is wrong with the nihonto kanji pages, 'cause i haven't been able to open it recently....

or i am interested in any other site where i can find kanji translation for the names of katana parts!

thanks in advance for any help!!!

oh my gosh, it was quick!

getting a reply that fast....;-)

thanks for the link!!!

but this site offers kanji translations only for "mei" and i desire for kanjis of the parts of a katana such as shinogi, ha, mune, yokote, hi, ji, yakiba, kashira, nagasa, menuki, meguki etc....

but really interesting browsing on that mei kanji site.... there is always something to learn...

thanks anyway again....

Hi there,

Do you know anyone how to write in kanji the following phrases?

-kurikata (knob on saya for sageo)

-shitodome (sageo fitting on saya)

-koshinogi (small arc of shinogi in kissaki, almost paralel with boshi)

I have been studying kanjis for parts of katana ceaselessly for almost a day now, but I haven't been able to find kanjis for these phrases listed above...

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 5 weeks later...

Gomenne

I am here again ...

but I still have a question concerning the kanji characters

I still don't know how to write in kanji the following terms:

-habaki (only thing I have found is just the hiragana writing of it. maybe there is no any kanji for this term?)

-toushin (bare blade without any koshirae)

and just to mention

the more I learn about the Japanese swords the more things I discover to learn....

Thanks for everything

Thanks for that Reinhard, I have been meaning to add something like that for a while now, but didn't want to steal one from one of the other sites. Nice one, and very useful.

Can I ask if anyone has the time and knowledge to maybe put those into a single .pdf file, then I can upload it to the articles section for future reference?

Brian

Thanks John. I managed to add the last image of the blade terms too, and will upload it to the articles section. Thanks Reinhard and John.

The images seem to be copied from Ginza Choshuya site. I already referred to the site in my previous post in this thread. The images are copyright reserved.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4330&p=32852&hilit=shitodome#p32852

Thanks Moriyama san,

Article removed for now. Don't want to tread on any toes with it.

Anyone have access to pics that have no copyright that we can compile into our own visual glossary? I know they exist out there, but sometimes nice to have them on the site itself.

Brian

The images seem to be copied from Ginza Choshuya site. I already referred to the site in my previous post in this thread. The images are copyright reserved.

It's no secret: The images are an assembly of reduced and rearranged screenshots from the Ginza Choshuya site. This particular page is online for the public for some years now. My idea was basically to create a stable point of reference somewhere on this forum without posting a link, that will become more and more difficult to find in the future, to a page, that will eventually disappear some day. This doesn't have to be necessarily the collage from Choshuya. It just seemed to be a good starter.

Moriyama-san is correct, of course, when pointing to the copyright here. On the other side: If copyrights for every single picture taken from books or web-pages are to be taken 100% seriously, half of all posts on this forum needed to be deleted.

Sorry for stepping on toes here.

reinhard

In the strictest sense I do not believe that this material can be copyrighted. It is not original to the author and expresses no new idea or form. It abridges no commercial rights and if you apply performance copyright it doesn't satisfy parameters of uniqueness. However a gentlemens agreement would preclude its' use. A simple note of agreement from Choshuya would make it morally right. John

Thanks all,

No worries, I know the intentions are good, and we aren't using it for commercial purposes. As John said, it's gentleman's agreement that would cause me not to use it. But a good job on it Reinhard.

Carlo sent me a possible alternative, although I would love for us to use pics that are owned by a member and with kanji and terms added for the NMB use itself.

I think all that is required is a good tachi pic and a good blade closeup, and we can add our own labels with kanji. That way there are no issues at all with pic copyright. Any volunteers who have an item or 2 to photograph? I am sure there are Photoshop guys who can do the labelling.

Brian

Guido,

Keep the pic, send me the koshirae! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Seriously though, that looks great. Would be perfect. I'll consider that one taken care of. We can get a close-up blade pic and do the other terminology and then compile it.

Brian

Yeah, right! :lol:

O.K., attached is the first installment. Looks a little smallish at first glance, but you can zoom in with Adobe Reader; it also prints out o.k.

I have lots of high resolution pics of swords, and will try to take some more pics of my Koshirae. What I don't have in abundance is time, but I'll try to finish everything during the next week. No promise, though. ;)

TACHI.pdf

... and nice that you can cut and paste the kanji too ...
No cut and paste, dude, I typed that stuff myself! 8)

In the Chôshûya pic were a couple of minor mistakes which I corrected, and I added quite a few terms. That's why it takes me so long ... :cry:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..