alteration mei

John A Stuart

A better term Jean. I'm checking facts on this. I have 2 shinshinto smiths with this name. Too late, Bunka and Bunkyu eras. Also 2 Shimada smiths, Eiroku era and Tensho era. Eiroku might be a tad early. Tensho maybe a little early too. Darcy found a Teruyoshi from Kanbun era, but, I can't find him. Anyone? John

Consider that this is a signature of the craftsman that shortened it rather than making it. The shortening could have been performed by someone that wasn't necessarily a swordsmith, or *just* a swordsmith. In that respect, any period during or past the appraised period of the sword would be suspect. Consider also that a large number of those signatures that bear reference to "Edo" in conjunction with the locational clarification of "Oite" (meaning performed in a place *outside* their normal working location), are in Shinshinto period.

I'd seperate the sword from the signature on this one. The style of signature might point you to a possible school and period if you want to chase the responsible shortener.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but it seems your looking for the guy that shortened the sword who likely (but not necessarily) was, a swordsmith in a later period , rather than the smith that made it(?).

Hi Ted, Yes, looking for the smith who shortened it. Patina indicates early shinto period as the time of shortening. The original smith was Nosada (verified). Just trying to dot the i's. John

Oh, Why does Edo usage signify shishinto period? Edojo was there since 1457 and Tokugawa made it the bakufu capital 17th cent.

I worded that poorly. It doesn't necessarily signify only shinshinto period. Swords that I've seen that have this kind of alteration or were specified as "Oite" Edo, were 18th/19th century alterations. Of course, as such 16th/17th century alterations occured, but there was a strong gravitation to Edo as the period progressed as it was the both a place of greater exposure to work, and gain tutalage under a large number of craftsman working there. Thus, a larger population and concentration of both permanent and transient craftsman of Edo going into the Shinshinto period might offer a larger body of examples.

Perhaps I'm invoking a bit too much personal speculation on the subject, but the signature health and style doesn't lead me too much older than 18th century. Stylistically, it just *looks* young to me. :dunno:

It's excellent that it's verified as Nosada. Great find there John! Congrats! Good thing you got over to the Kanemoto/Kanesada exhibit too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..