Fuchi Translation Please.

Brian Hancock

Hi All (Again!) I have just got this fuchi from the same guy as Peter Farrar at Birmingham fair yesterday and would be greatful if anyone of you tosugu guys could do me a translation please. I have put a few pics for you to see and if anyone has a Kashira in the same material that would go with it and would like to sell please let me know. Thanks in advance. Brian.

post-444-14196753774909_thumb.jpg

post-444-14196753779908_thumb.jpg

post-444-14196753780922_thumb.jpg

post-444-14196753782142_thumb.jpg

I'm not pulling up this kao in the Index of Japanese Sword Fittings and Associated Artists.

Not even sure exactly which Hamano MasaYuki this is as I am unable to identify the particular Masa- character here. Tired eyes :)

There are others who signed Hamano Masayuki. Is this the Shozui "Masa" kanji that he used?

Brian

yes.....

see the examples posted by Pete Klein on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4023&p=30227&hilit=shozui#p30227

政 随

the kanji issue

Only way I can get the "sho" character is by typing "seiji" .... zui kanji come sup by typing "zui", can't get it typing "yuki"

Out of interest, my wife reads this a SHOZUI not masayuki... she reads the first kanji as "sho" but can read "masa" too .... she reads the second kanji as only "zui", not "yuki"

Cheers

Roger that Bug's....

however my point being that, in the modern world anyway, it seems that people recognize that kanji as "zui" only... Just showed it to someone else...

"what is this?" sez I... "zui." sez he... "what else could it be?" sez I... "buggered if I know." sez him....

by the way he is Japanese... that last remark by him shows he has been hanging around with this limey twit for too long.... anyway maybe it is an age thing... these test subjects were both sub 40 yrs...

Apart from all of this... this mei (gimei or not) says HAMANO SHOZUI + kao.

By the way does anyone have any examples of Shozui's earlier art name?

(OTSURYUKEN) MIBOKU 味墨

cheers!

edit... forgot this post by Deron.... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1719

Further to this question. I have access to my books now and in 'Joly's list of Names and Kakihan' there is no kao for Shozui. There are kao for Hamano Masayuki (Kihosai), (Hankeishi), but, not similar. I checked Miboku. There were a couple who signed this way, different characters, but, still the kao did not match. John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..