Inro Mei and inscription

Bugyotsuji

Have been sent this inro writing and asked to read, but it's way out of my league. The character under Joka seems to suggest this is a copy of Joka, rather than the 'kakihan' as I was advised. Can anyone help with the inscriptions/poetry? The motif is a monk(?) slumped on a cloud. Picc supplied if necessary. Credit will be given as due. :thanks:

The other piccies I was sent are too large... humph. :cry:

post-601-14196753161094_thumb.jpg

This is my guess. But I might be totally wrong as I have little knowledge in this field.

江月讚 (Kogetsu San) – San (讚: attached calligraphy to the picture) written by Kogetsu

探幽繪 (Tan’yu E(reading?)) – Picture drawn by Tan’yu

常嘉写 (Joka utsushi) – Copied by Joka

Joka copied the picture drawn by Tan’yu and the calligraphy which was attached to the picture by Kogetsu. :?: :?: :?:

My question wasn't phrased very well. Please forgive me. It would be going off-thread, so you do not need to answer it.

What I meant was you must feel some personal pride in the long and deep evolution of Japanese culture. For me the study is objective in a way, an outsider looking in without too much emotional help, except the excitement and interest in discovering new things about the past. A 'different' past, too. Perhaps you have this too? Or not? (When I look at Shakespeare's writings, or Chaucer, I do not feel any personal connection, really, just a frustration that I cannot understand it clearly.)

Thanks for the clarification. I think I understood the meaning, but I was not sure about my understanding because it was an unexpected question.

“Personal pride” might not be an appropriate phrase for me. Though I respect ancestors’ works, I do not contribute to them. I only admire our ancestors and their works. And they do not always have to be Japanese.

I am usually impressed by ancient – middle aged structures rather than literature. They are not necessarily Japanese. Actually, I admire the stone culture in Europe. Also I always admire the cultural heritage of ancient China. They were great.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I understood the meaning, but I was not sure about my understanding because it was an unexpected question.

“Personal pride” might not be an appropriate phrase for me. Though I respect ancestors’ works, I do not contribute to them. I only admire our ancestors and their works. And they do not always have to be Japanese.

I am usually impressed by ancient – middle aged structures rather than literature. They are not necessarily Japanese. Actually, I admire the stone culture in Europe. Also I always admire the cultural heritage of ancient China. They were great.

Thank you Moriyama san. Your reply makes me smile. :thanks:

Mr. Morita, I really would appreciate if you could chime in a little earlier if you come up with alternative readings in the future. Constantly waiting until you can make "corrections" to other forumite's findings may be perceived - with all due respect - as slightly arrogant. 瓜田李下 ;) I know that this isn't your intention, and sincerely hope that you will find the time to contribute even more from now on. Your participation here is highly appreciated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..