Shipping Nihonto to Germany. HELP!

mike yeon

I'm hoping that someone here can help me with a shipping problem I'm having. I sold one of my wakizashi to a collector in Germany. (I'm in the U.S. BTW).

This is the first time I've sold anything internationally. I went to the post office, filled out the customs declaration, but they won't accept (or they say German customs won't accept) "ANTIQUE Japanese SWORD" as a description (or any sword/knife for that matter!)

The buyer assured me he's had sellers ship nihonto to him from the U.S. in the past. He's not sure how they did it. So I'm asking if anyone here knows anything or can help.

Thank you in advance.

mike

Hi Mike,

I bought two swords from the US so far and never had problems receiving them.

If I remember correctly the sellers declared it as a "Japanese antique". But by the way - you are allowed to possess antique swords in germany so I can´t really understand what they told you...

Maybe just try to declare it as a "Japanese Antique" - that should be working.

cheers,

Martin

Mike,

Weapons and arms are prohibited.

You are not shipping either, you are shippng an Antique work of Art.

Labeled "Antique Japanese Sword greater than 100 years old", should be accepted.

Keep in mind that writng "Japanese Sword" on a label, looks an awful lot like a neon sign saying, "STEAL ME".

I ship to not only Germany but all of Europe on a regular basis via USPS.

On the label write exactly this: "Antique Nihonto greater than 100 years old".

Be sure and use the "greater than 100 years old", this will assist your buyer in eliminating import duty taxes.

The employees at my branch of the USPS know exactely what I ship, and never give me a problem. The employees where you ship may need educating on the difference between art and weapons.

Previously when this was discussed here, I was told it was dishonest to omit the word sword, so you decide.

Thank you everyone. This helps a lot. The problem I ran into seems to be stating the pre-determined category the clerk needed to put into his system (not what I was writing on the the customs form.) The closest category according to him was "Antiques" and that brought up the red flag.

Anyway, I'll have to try another post office.

Much thanks to everyone.

mike

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..