Help me please is this a Kanemichi?

- Dean -

My first sword which i purchased from a recognised dealer,

I am told that the blade is by Kojima Kanemitchi, as you can imagine i am a complete novice and desperate to try and find out as much out about my sword as possible, i have attached some pictures of the kanji, mon and wrapping and would request any help that any of you experts could give me regarding translation and the maker. :)

Is it a traditionally made blade or oil tempered? is it gendaito?

Are there any clubs or interest groups in the central UK region?

Kind regards

Dean Sargeant

post-1050-14196753056123_thumb.jpg

post-1050-14196753076381_thumb.jpg

post-1050-14196753091079_thumb.jpg

post-1050-14196753105012_thumb.jpg

post-1050-14196753120334_thumb.jpg

Hi Dean

I think the nearest group to you is the Northern Token which meets in Manchester wvery other month.

Your sword has a showa stamp on it. Depending which books you read and whose opinion you believe the generally held view is/was that swords with this stamp on are factory made, possibly hand finished but not regarded in Japan as traditionally made swords. There seems to have been some movement in this recently but I think that is still the general belief.

The characters on your blade are typical of a showa made sword.

There are many kanemichis, the first and most famous known as O-michi or Daido was the father of Kinmichi who founded the Mishina School in the Edo period. Other Kanemichis crop up throughout the Edo period.

I should try and get a copy of John Sloughs book on modern swords you may find this mei in that.

hope this helps

Paulb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..