Matching "Type 3" gendaito with random Type 3 scabbard

Bruno

Hi guys,

I know the odds that a blade would match a random gunto scabbard is very low (but not impossible). I was wondering if with Type 3 blades/scabbards it is easier to find a matching couple.

I have a nice star stamped Masamichi with original habaki without any other gunto mounts.

I am tempted to buy a type 3 scabbard for it.

So if the nagasa, motohaba and sori seem to match, both blade and scabbard should feet together, or is it more complicated?

Thanks for your help

post-859-0-42263100-1594034777_thumb.jpg

post-859-0-93695100-1594035834_thumb.png

All I can say is....good luck. On another note Type 3 Gendaito will more often than not be in lacquered wood saya, not metal ones.

Hey John,

Yes I know I will need luck, not sure yet if I will really do it.

The only other example by this smith I saw was in this kind of Type 3 scabbard, though I agree with you, gendaito are more often, but not always, found in wood type 3 saya.

Perhaps I am unusually luckybut I have had four decent "random"matches with Gunto blades to Gunto scabbards, or perhaps the production parameters were that rigid!

If I can put my hands on a cheap one I will give it a try. But usually those for sale on Ebay are more around $200/$300 so totally out of the question for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..