Japanese bone dagger (I believe)

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna find out these are fake, the blades aren't in very good condition... But I have these lying about, was gonna get them for my Dad but he said he didn't want them and I have no use for them really, they're just lying around. Can somebody let me know if they're worth anything. Worth even trying to sell? Any information would be most useful as I have not got a clue what I have.

Thank you in advance,

Jack

post-5449-0-26570200-1594009839_thumb.jpg

post-5449-0-23482500-1594009865_thumb.jpg

post-5449-0-42269300-1594009875_thumb.jpg

post-5449-0-48502600-1594009885_thumb.jpg

post-5449-0-47028200-1594009903_thumb.jpg

post-5449-0-34608100-1594009911_thumb.jpg

post-5449-0-06749500-1594009922_thumb.jpg

Hi Jack,

Nothing fake about this.

Equally nothing to be said about the blade.

Constructed from bone for sale to lower end tourists c.1900 - 1920.

They can be really well carved.

Not of great value, but worthy of preservation for exactly what it is, an honest piece of history.

:)

• Like 3

Hi Jack,

Nothing fake about this.

Equally nothing to be said about the blade.

Constructed from bone for sale to lower end tourists c.1900 - 1920.

They can be really well carved.

Not of great value, but worthy of preservation for exactly what it is, an honest piece of history.

:)

Hi Grim!

Thanks for your reply... I have two of these, unfortunately one of the handles is broken, split in two

Interesting to hear about them though and I'm glad to hear they're not fake.

As you seem to know what you're talking about, do you think I overpaid when I paid £300 for a pair of these, one with a broken handle? And if not, how much could they be worth to the right person? I'd rather they were kept by someone who knew what they were and treasured them properly, not rolling around in my sock draw like they currently are.

Thanks,

Jack

To a Japanese sword collector, you overpaid by quite a bit. To a collector of antiques or curios...you probably paid about market value.
These would have to go to the latter collector, on a general auction.

• Like 2

To a Japanese sword collector, you overpaid by quite a bit. To a collector of antiques or curios...you probably paid about market value.

These would have to go to the latter collector, on a general auction.

Oh wonderful  :bang:  Got it off a workmate originally, he said he paid £400 for them a few years ago and they price will have only just gone up, dunno if he's been fleeced or whether I have!! Hopefully I can get at least £200 for them then

Jack,

just so you know when you are going to sell: It is not a dagger (= double cutting edge) but a knife.

Aha :) Thanks for the tip, I'm a complete novice at this type of thing so thanks for the advice, I hear I'm not allowed to sell this type of stuff on ebay? Where is the best place

In the UK your stuck with local Auction and associated fees being around 30%

A dealer who will possibly be interested at around £150 the pair.

The blade is poorly shaped and I doubt its tempered. I have seen many of these in tanto and wakizashi size and the blades are more just metal tsunagi.

Sorry its bad news the last one I bought was £50.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..