Cross-shaped Shoami tsuba

PietroParis

Left and right are clearly two torii. Up and down I am not sure. Arrows? Birds? Leaves? How would they be related to the torii? This tsuba clearly has a story to tell...

It is a tree that looks like a spear. Usually, the torii gate stands in  grove.

I imagine that this pattern was based on the tradition of a aristocrat.

http://ginza.choshuya.co.jp/sale/gj/r1/010/00_yasuchika.htm

Black rust (Hydroxide rust) is a thin film, but it certainly protects iron completely. When I got a red rusty tsuba, I kept touching it occasionally for months, sometimes all year long, and continued rubbing it with a cotton cloth. Then the red rust will disappear little by little, and the black rust will rise from below.

Best wishes,
Yas

post-5433-0-71239500-1594184939_thumb.jpg

post-5433-0-31997400-1594184961_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yas. A

You are correct, these are mass produced like minted coinage, there are some punch marks on one where the replica was mounted for a particular blade, sekigane simulation all the same and plugged hitsu were just surface features and never pierced. But it is amazing the variety of iroe used to fool buyers. $80 for a fake - cheaper than some I have seen.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..