Shipping a Swordstick

Morning,

Just a quick plea for help.

I have a guy in the USA that has brought a swordstick from me.

In the UK antique swordsticks are allowed to be collected, but to ship it to the States, do I need any forms.

If I just put on the paperwork, antique Japanese swordstick, is that enough?

Thanks in advance.

David

Another term would be "swordcane", actually a sword with shallow sori inside a walking stick. This device, even when it is antique, is illegal in many countries.

In many states in the US carrying one is illegal. I do not know how customs handles import if they are antique.

Best, Martin

• Like 1

I have shipped a North African sword blade before described as an ethnic "Weaving Baton". I suggest being literal but obscure, eg "bakumatsu gentlemans walking stick" or use the Japanese term "Shikomizue". Don't lie, but don't give too much away. Don't use the word "sword" anywhere in the description.

• Like 6

Hello Akitombo,

Agree with above..Don’t use “ weapon” or “sword” in the description...Not to be deceitful but to avoid complications or theft....Have always used the Japanese word for sword or blade and emphasised “traditionally made and over 100 years old ( if it is )”...This accompanied by the correct customs code has always worked for me...

Regards,

Paul..

• Like 1

Tricky these days, gets x rayed and no mention of a blade and it might have a knock on effect where it sits in a warehouse until they get around to it. :dunno:

Japanese Antique collectable walking stick , over 100 years old, tariff 9706.00.00.00, Relief requested (should it be so)

Customs are on point these days, good luck.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..