A question about JOLY'S shosankenshu

Babu

Hi, when we look at jolys kakihan are we expecting his calligraphy skills to be perfect or are the kakihan open to some variances due to his perhaps inept skill at copying exactly what he has seen.

Where were his sources taken from, other books or tosogu mei as written by the validated artists?

I gather this is not a definitive list just the ones he was exposed to?

Any thoughts as a reference I need to understand its value.

Thank you Adam

Hello Adam

In my experience Joly's references are useful in identifying an artist but I would suggest that his illustrations, while accurate in terms of general form and strokes etc. , are not enough to confirm the authenticity of a particular piece.

• Like 3

Thank you Ford, I thought this might be the case.

Do you perhaps know of another resource that provides photographic evidence of a mei and Kao as written on a piece of artwork ?

Are these KAKIHAN actually a language in themselves in that they mean something specific.? Or even generally?

Thank you

Kakihan are stylized monograms that are loosely based on a kanji, sometimes. There are, if memory serves, three basic types, one type called ni go tai is composed between two horizontal strokes, for example.

As for photographic reference books of mei and kao the standard reference would be the Shinsen Kinko Meikan, not cheap but essential if you plan on becoming a serious student and collector.

https://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b879-shinsen-kinko-meikan

Thank you.

The first suggested title is not available anywhere online.

The second Grey has as linked thank you. .

Q:Why is Haynes recommended as additional reference rather than primary? Not as comprehensive?

Thank you

Haynes Index gives you the artist's history and the volume number and page(s) in the meikan and other references where applicable.  If you read Japanese it's not all that necessary but few outside Japan have that ability.  I have all three references.  If you collect swords it's like having Fujishiro's Koto and Shinto along with the translation by Watson.

You can find the Haynes Index here:  http://www.shibuiswords.com/books.htm       Just scroll down a bit from top page.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..