17th c. Munekage

Rmueller9

Hi Rich.  

It appears to be a nice authentic samurai wakizashi.  The letter from Tanobe San is notable, as he has been the leader of sword appraisal for the last several decades.  From a distance, I assume from looking only at photos, he seems to be stating that it is genuine.  This is not the same as having authentication papers from one of the sword appraisal societies (NBTHK or NTHK or NTHK-NPO), and doesn't guarantee that it will receive papers, but it is very helpful.  

The value of the sword would be increased somewhat by submission to shinsa and receipt of papers, but the letter makes that less pressing as most collectors would accept the letter as being very positive.  It seems that the sword is in a decent state of preservation with a polish that allows some appreciation of the blade. It has some active rust and rust damage on the end of the tang.  The mounts are unremarkable but appear to be all there and the scabbard (saya) appears to be undamaged.  

I claim no special appraising expertise and am not a sword dealer, but often requests for value of swords go unanswered here.  I would think that if you put it on ebay it would sell at the lower end of the $1000-2000 range.  Cheers, bob

He probably sent Tanobe San either a rubbing or photos.   Apparently he is very busy these days working on a book project of some sort and is less available.  Also, I think that he was President of the NBTHK at that time (not 100% sure), so he was very responsive to requests.  

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest offering it on here first as ebay fees can be high. Especially if PayPal is Used.You may need to offer an inspection period or produce far better images and a return policy.

Ebay has risk of rejection as well.

If you place a figure you would be happy with you will at least get feedback or a sale. It's not going to be an expensive sword, but it's worth is, as always, what someone is willing to pay for it.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..