Kanemichi (Kojima).

It's funny how you set your sights on collecting interesting examples of Showa period swords, and sometimes there occurs a synergy that doesn't at first appear obvious. 

I set my sights on a WW2 Gendai in gunto mounts with bohi, an example with a dragon horimono, another with kanji horimono, a '98 koshirae with the rare patented extended drag, and a perfect Kai Gunto (thanks Hamfish). 

The coincidence was, all these examples were made by the 2 million yen, RJT smith, Kanemichi. 

Two of the five have Showa stamps, and culminate with the obviously special order papered gendai bohi example.

All examples are in above average koshirae of the time. 

post-3858-0-32586100-1590845875_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-36792800-1590845888_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-47707000-1590845899_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-66786800-1590845913_thumb.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 2

That's really cool Neil. So you weren't looking for Kanemichi, they just kept popping up as you found a gunto you liked?

Also, with the 3 blades you show, to my untrained eye, they are all so different in style that it makes me wonder about shinsa teams trying to attribute a mumei blade to a particular smith.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 5/30/2020 at 9:40 PM, IJASWORDS said:

WW2 Gendai in gunto mounts with bohi, an example with a dragon horimono, another with kanji horimono,

post-3858-0-36792800-1590845888_thumb.jpg

Hi Neil,

Did Kanemichi make all three of these? Also, do you happen to have photos of the whole blade?

Thanks

The swords in the photo posted by Trystan above were all made by KANEMICHI. 

Here are some photos of my 1935 KANETOKI who changed his name to KANEMICHI later on. 

This example in gloss '94 mounts, has horimono on both sides! I am obviously a fan of his work, and the number of swords with beautifully cut horimono is amazing. Many are true works of art. 

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

k4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..