Sayagaki Translation

Attribution is to 江州高[木]住貞宗 - Gōshū Takagi Sadamune.

Time period is 応安 - Ōan (1368)

Length (nagasa) is 1 shaku 2 sun 8 bu.

The individual's name is Kanzan + KAO (ie. signed with the name used by Sato Kanzan)

• Like 3

Ray-

You are consistently on it here! Thank you for your reply -Sorry for the double post, I can't figure out how I double clicked the "post" button or how to take it down!

OK - so back to the sayagaki- what if I told you that I had a suspicion of "enhancement" to the calligraphy? Take a close look at the last three characters of the first photo. What do you think? How difficult would it be to sand off the ink from the saya and replace? Does the ink that Sato Kanzan used penetrate and deeply stain the wood of a shirasaya? -- JT

• Like 1

It is certainly possible for sayagaki to be manipulated and I have seen examples where some part of the attribution was changed. This usually leaves a color difference to the appearance of the wood which I am not seeing in your photos. There are also many sayagaki which are not authentic examples from Kanzan, his is a frequent target for fake sayagaki. 

• Like 1

Ray - I am 100% sure that the shirasaya was made for the blade that it is housed in. I am pretty sure that the Kanzan signature is legit. A little "iffy" on the Sadamune. If the ink used stains the wood to a depth that would take real sanding and removal of lots of wood, then I think I have a legit signature that somebody went over and "highlighted". Your thoughts? -- JT

JT, from what I can see in the photo I believe that every part of the sayagaki is contemporary with itself (ie. no parts enhanced or changed later). With that I am not saying that it is an authentic Kanzan sayagaki, but I don't believe that it has been modified. I'd also like to add that the attribution, the jidai (time period) and the length all align. Ie. the length is what you might expect from a Takagi Sadamune ko-wakizashi and this is a smith who worked in the Nanbokucho period.

Ray-

This sword is another one of my "Ebay specials" I bought it because I am a sucker for shobu, but this one doesn't have any papers. I just liked the shape, connection to Kanzan, and the price.

At $510.00 it was worth having in my collection. I have Sato Kanzan's book "The Japanese Sword" and wanted to have some of his work around. 

I will ask Ed Marshall about whether it is worth submitting when I see him- Thanks so much for sending me his contact info, as soon as the coast is clear for travel I am going to head his way.  -- JT

Really glad to hear you are meeting up with Ed. Enjoy the meet-up whenever it can happen. 

As far as the sword, I do need to mention that there are no authentic Takagi Sadamune in shobu-zukuri that I have seen. None at least at the Juyo or higher level. There might be a naginatananaoshi example, but I have not seen one for Takagi either. In terms of ko-wakizashi, his work is usually hirazukuri and sometimes katakiriba.

• Like 1

JT, I would be more likely to suspect that the sayagaki is suspect rather than that it has been modified. As mentioned earlier, fake Kanzan sayagaki are very common. The online auctions are cluttered with them. Takagi Sadamune look very different from the sword in the photo, which appears slender with a narrow mihaba. Considering the kaeri, it clarifies that this isn't a naginatanaoshi.

JT, it is difficult to give an attribution from the photo. Perhaps Muromachi, but Ed will likely be able to far better than I can once the sword is in hand for an evaluation. A friend has a similarly shaped Nagamori. I also had a Fujishima with this sugata this in my collection at one point. Both swords were later Muromachi.

This is awesome! Thanks for taking the time with me, I am learning so much. If you ever come across Kanmuri Otoshi blades that you want to sell or broker, let me know. I have promised myself that the buying phase of this project is over, but you know how it goes. --- JT

JT it is unfortunately very common on ebay to come across such items however it seems the important part is that you like the sword as it is. The most enjoyment you can have from collecting Japanese swords is buying what you like and not buying with the idea of selling at a profit.

Welcome to the forum JT, I read your other posts as well. It is great idea to meet up with Ed. I think sharing some blades with the forum can also be a good thing, while it is lot different from viewing the items in hand you will be able to get multiple opinions/guesses about the items. And we would get fun time in looking at the items.

Here is an example of a mumei wakizashi with Takagi Sadamune attribution that is about the length that yours is.

post-381-0-09839100-1590837658_thumb.jpg

Could you perhaps post a picture of the nakago (tang) of this sword in question?

Mystery solved (i think)-

If the saya is held to the light just so, a different texture emerges around the suspect Kanji. The Maker and the date have been VERY cleverly modified. I am impressed with the quality of the forgery. What an interesting thing to have in my collection! A real teaching moment don't you think? --- JT

post-5347-0-23964100-1590854016_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..