Translation assistance please of characters upon the Katana wooden liner

Hello Members. I have owned a number of swords over 20 years and have been reasonably successful at translating the characters on my sword tangs. I bought a sword last year; it took many hours just to get the tsuba off. Excessive rust.

I often remove the wooden liner to better clean the scabbard and the liner, and this time a host of characters were present on both sides. Can someone assist me with a translation of what we see on the photos which I will now try to post.  Thank you in anticipation. Jeff

post-1865-0-69828200-1590646078_thumb.jpg

post-1865-0-84669100-1590646101_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The cursive stuff is beyond me lol. One one side the red stencil says 神田服部刀剣店謹製= Kanda Hattori Sword Store Made. Other side 七六二号= number 762, 佐野様=Sano Sama (Mr. Sano), what follows might be an address but don't quote me

• Like 2

I can't add anything beyond what Mike and Uwe have provided, but like others I have inspected quite a few gunto wood saya liners. I've never seen one with this much verbage, and- more importantly - this guy looks VERY new. Are we sure it is "vintage"?

Peter

• Like 4

Many Thanks Gentlemen for this assistance. Invaluable information. I am indebted to you. I bought this sword at auction here in Tasmania, late last year. My initial intro was not quite correct. It took me many hours to get the handle off, not the tsuba. The rust was obviously heavy and the handle had never been off until I bought it. The verbage was in excellent condition and close inspection of another photo I will post, will show the age of the liner and confirm its WW2 age. The sword is stored away and these photos were taken last year. My guess is that the sword was a family blade and was mounted for the soldier on his way to war. Would anyone care to offer an opinion?? The blade condition is uncared for and I only have the one photo to offer to this audience at this time. Again, many thanks for your assistance.

Sorry Gentlemen. Doesn't look like I can upload any more photos ???????

Tha appears to be a sword by Enomoto Sadayoshi when he was working at the Hattori sword shop. At that time he also signed yoriyoshi.

Pic added from Steve's link (in case the item isn't there in the future).

Wow! I've never seen a mei with the sword shop's name!

Hi, I have a similar one (signed Hattori Tanren Jo Kitau Kore) :-)

I looked for a long time for more information, but found very few only...

post-683-0-55441500-1591367505_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Klaus,

Your sword reads

服部鍛刀所造之

Hattori tantō-jo kore wo tsukuru 

(or, Hattori tantō-jo tsukuru kore if you read word-for-word)

slightly different from the reading you mention in your post. 

Or, in proper kanbun with Japanese reading it might be "Kore wo Hattori tanntō-jo ni te tsukurimashita".

• Like 1

Hello Klaus,

Your sword reads

服部鍛刀所造之

Hattori tantō-jo kore wo tsukuru 

(or, Hattori tantō-jo tsukuru kore if you read word-for-word)

slightly different from the reading you mention in your post. 

Or, in proper kanbun with Japanese reading it might be "Kore wo Hattori tanntō-jo ni te tsukurimashita".

Hello Steve,

many thanks, great information!

But now I am slightly confused...sorry for asking, what does "tantō-jo" mean?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..