Tanto..... Bungo Province? - Pics now up....

DanBaker

Hi All,

I have a mumei tanto (pics below) I thought I would put up here to see what people think...here are my thoughts:

Hamon: Suguha Ni Notare

Kitae: Mokume

Era 1580 - 1600 (Sue Koto)

Bungo Province

there are also two marks on the blade which look to me that one is perhaps umegane, the other a ware. I’m still pretty new in nihonto and still learning as much as I can. Any thoughts tips on this piece would be much appreciated:)

Cheers,

Dan

I've scrapped the yahoo and here are the pics, Thanks Brian for helping me out....

p1020186xc5.th.jpg

p1020176ev5.th.jpg

p1020175vt5.th.jpg

p1020160ed1.th.jpg

p1020157za2.th.jpg

Hi, I can not tell if it is umegane or fukure but it's not bad. Blade seems fine but pic doesn't show detail. I have a hard time photographing these too. No gift. Why do you think Bungo? The yahoo pic site needs password access so I do not think some will be able to view these pics. John

Thanks John. Yep the photo's are a bit hard to take...the light today hasn't been so good either since it has been cloudy here all day. The main reason for wondering if it could be bungo is cause the Japanese guy i bought it from thought this was the case. I also consulted my book by Nagayama which has a small bit about bungo province pieces but no pics unfortunately. So I thought I would put this out there since I'm still pretty green when it comes to nihonto... :) either way, I do quite like this little piece and love just looking at it for hours! (my girl friend just can't seem to understand, and she is Japanese tsk tsk, ha ha)

Thanks again,

Dan

Oh and I hope these pics are a bit better for everyone, they seem so when I veiw them. Yahoo photos is not real good for such pics :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..