A word of warning

If you buy from seller TACHI61-JP on eBay, please be careful. He sold me a very-nice Heianjo tsuba, but left it in the box, instead of packing it separately. So, of course it got scratched by the nails, & when I complained, he got very upset, & said that it couldn't have happened. I kept the tsuba, but it ticked me off that he wouldn't accept responsibility.

His sale items are excellent, but you might want to consider telling him to pack tsuba by themselves.

• Like 6

This should be in on line auctions for ebay buyers to see

Agreed, Stephen. I feel we need a pinned thread for stuff like this. Although, we are only human, amd some people have bad days and pride, we are still accountable.

Ken,

I'm sorry to hear that that happened. I always fear the same, as my language skills are not the best yet. It feels like there are sellers like that everywhere, but even on some of the sites (yahoo auctions in particular) here, I see some people ridiculed for asking questions on tosugu or nihonto. Makes me wonder about how some stay in business. Thankfully, haven't had that issue with anyone I've dealt with here, thus far. Worse is anyone not responding for those that do bot sell in Japan. Licensing issue?

Was it scratched up terribly?

Crazy that some sellers hasn't it learn and make the same mistake over and over again.

Sad for the pieces and the buyer.

Same thing with splitted and destroyed saya if you sent a sword in koshirae and didn't pack it correct and fix the blade.

If you buy from seller TACHI61-JP on eBay, please be careful. He sold me a very-nice Heianjo tsuba, but left it in the box, instead of packing it separately. So, of course it got scratched by the nails, & when I complained, he got very upset, & said that it couldn't have happened. I kept the tsuba, but it ticked me off that he wouldn't accept responsibility.

His sale items are excellent, but you might want to consider telling him to pack tsuba by themselves.

I've taken to -always- requesting the seller/agent not to ship a tsuba in its box to the US - even when you think they're "real" dealers and they should know better.

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 2

Ken, this happened to me with a Yahoo.JP, Buyee auction.  I took photos of the fine scratches in the soft metal tsuba, but they kept asking for photos and acted as if nothing had happened.  I even labeled the photos with text explaining the image.  Here are the photos that I sent.  Can you see the damage?  Anyway, it's hard to imagine that these are dealers and don't understand the stupidity of letting a many hundred year old item float around in a box that has nails underneath a little wooden pin.....I feel your pain.  

post-620-0-05292200-1590417973_thumb.jpeg

post-620-0-76530800-1590417989_thumb.jpeg

post-620-0-45751400-1590418015_thumb.png

post-620-0-20435200-1590418029_thumb.png

• Like 5

Suggestion to All:  When purchasing tosogu or nihonto via post or courier, send simple, clear instructions to the seller (respectfully asking them to pack the tsuba / sword separately) AND a simple note (Printed in large font) for them to include with the packed item warning the post office / customs not to touch the item with bare hands because the oil from their hands can ruin the blade/item (and other pertinent warnings).  Keep it short and clear (because of language problems and most workers won't read more than 2 sentences....)  For high priced items, ask the seller to include a pair of gloves in the package (for customs/any inspectors).

• Like 1

This thread brings to mind something that has puzzled me for years: why do tsuba collectors put up with these stupid boxes?  It wouldn't be too difficult to fasten the center posts with wood pins or cord tied underneath, or some other method that doesn't risk damage.  I don't get it.

Grey

• Like 5

I agree Grey, they are very poorly designed!  As to informing the seller, I buy via Buyee, and never interact with the actual seller, so when I do use them, I am at the mercy of the seller.  Of course, when I buy from Grey there is never a problem - Grey always packs them up well!  

• Like 2

Robert,

I think that you can have Buyee repackage your shipments (small additional cost).  In my experience, the shipping within Japan (from the seller to Buyee) is very good (packages handled carefully and respectfully, so damage is much less likely).  The problem is outside Japan and in our own country (I'm ashamed to say...)

Sorry to hear Ken,

I haven't had any trouble with this seller in the past, but do you think maybe opening up an avenue for partial refund (through either ebay or paypal) on the ground of "damaged or not as advertised", might be a good idea? The reason I suggest this is the idea of, they will hopefully change shipping procedure and ensure the item is secured to avoid a similar out of pocket claim?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..