New sword. Fake? What is the signature translation?

Tyliar

Probably fake. The ito doesn’t alternate and the number on the Habaki is suspicious. It could also be a sword that has been fitted with spare parts from other swords and restored by an amateur. The blade could give us more detail, but the pictures are too small.

EDIT: saw your pics on photobucket. Definitely fake.

Several of the key images won't show up in any of my 3 browsers, even in Photobucket. But Japanese swords are not signed where this one is, so I doubt it's real.

Please go to your Profile & add your first name, so we know how to address you. And welcome to NMB.

Thank you for your responses. What does the writing translate to? Also, would anyone know if there’s any actual value or time period guesses? I’m going to try to post a picture of the blade with the handle removed.

Yes, please Samantha, show the blade. Your sword is apparently an imitation of a Kai Gunto (naval WW2 sword) mixed with mountings of a Shingunto (army WW2 sword) but nothing really matches with either. It’s hard to say when it was done, obviously after the war and I’d say in the past twenty years. Today, imitations have become really good, so I’d say before 2000. As for the value, not much I’m afraid as it was probably made in China. Unless I’m wrong, of course!:)

These cheap copies are made in thousands to deceive the uninformed SAMURAI- and NINJA fans. The symbols on the tang try to look Japanese but in most cases, they make no sense and have no meaning. The sword cannot be mistaken for an authentic KATANA (SAMURAI sword) if you have ever seen an original. They are sold for around 100 - 200 USD, but the value is probably a quarter of that. .

Ok so basically just a cool thing to have around and that’s about it. Thank you so much! I have one other sword but the handle appears to be attached by a rusted screw so I doubt it’s even worth that. But hey, if the zombie apocalypse happens or I wanna pretend to be Katana, they’ll be useful ????

• Like 1

Well, don’t slice with the second one. This is most likely what’s called a rat tail, meaning the tang is thin and soldered to the blade. It can snap easily and the blade will fly around.

BTW I'm not sure with Fake with the first one  :laughing:

The blade looks not like a typical chinese fake. I saw so some of these swords made outside from Japan during the war. But I'm not really expert in that because it is nothing what i would pay for.

Maybe it is something for the military thread.

Can you please share detailed pictures with us from the blade? 

Samantha we would need close ups from the boshi and hamon (if its there) and hada.

On one pictue i think i see the yokote. 

What makes me wonder is the mekugi and the same. Also the tsuba is not the common chinese fake.

I think it's a fake Shin gunto because of the ashi and Kabuto gane are not the same as a Kai gunto.

Regardless,

Some parts of it seem authentic but some don't almost all the shin gunto imitations use a black saya. It really makes me instantly hesitant as soon as I see that.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..