Monkey Business

Spartancrest

Just a heads up on another non-tsuba that appears from time to time. These desk ornaments were made back in the late 70's, not the 1870's,  the 1970's. They were made as museum replicas for a travelling exhibition on Japanese swords and sword furniture, I know because I went to it in Sydney about 1979.(yes I am that old) I have seen these passed off as genuine mounted examples of Edo work and some have the bases removed to make them 'serviceable'. As a replica I paid $40 which was fairly high priced at the time, but some are now being sold for $400 or more - another is on auction right now - opening bid $20 which sounds fair but I wouldn't bid much more!

post-3736-0-72077800-1589588449_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Dear Dale,

Thanks for the heads up!  How do you think it was made?  Mass production by drop forging or casting?  Looks like the gold was painted on and the monkey soldered on afterwards.  What about the sekigane?  Did they really go to the effort of adding those or are they just painted on? (can't tell from the picture)

George 

The bulk of the guard is cast in some sort of alloy- heavy- the monkey is separately cast and has a hole in his hand that attaches to the guard, all the extra's are painted on - some better than others I think the monkey is secured with some sort of glue as well because mine came off and that's the way I repaired it.

The sharp eyed may notice the monkey has been set in the hitsu-ana in this second example. Mine is set like the first example but I have seen about fifty/ fifty so it may have depended on who assembled them. Also my example didn't have all the casting faults as the second obviously does, so the quality control must have eased off.

They are decorative but I don't suggest they are usable. The back of his jacket is detailed - the original must have been really nice.

Saru in a Silk Shirt?

post-3736-0-23362900-1589597394_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This monkey has had a good scrub, but it can't be said to be 'clean'. https://www.zentnercollection.com/items/1426669/Japanese-Antique-Silver-Tsuba-Monkey

You will notice all the features of the museum reproductions. Particularly the sekigane as molded in cannot be real. if this is truly silver I will eat it - not that I could afford this apéritif!

• Like 1

I have found the origin of these replicas https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-chicago-field-museum-tsuba-monkey-1858300739

The 'Alva Museum Replicas. Inc, N.Y.' operated from 1948 -1990 run by Alfred Wolkenberg. The company specialized in mass produced copies of a huge range of diverse museum pieces. Tsuba pendants etc. turn up manufactured in the 1970's.  Nice to know where they originated from.

The original guard is to be found in the 'Field Museum of Chicago', the images available are limited to some old black and white card references https://fm-digital-assets.fieldmuseum.org/1435/610/130774_CardScan.pdf

The detailing of the reproductions is extremely good, the one giveaway difference is the pin and hole in the raised hand of the reproductions - not seen in the original.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..