New tsuba with Nobuie Mei

DMac

Greetings everyone - I’m posting a tsuba I purchased back in March, and just received yesterday due to major COVID related shipping delays in Japan. It’s pretty solid piece and I admire the subtle work on the surface which appears to be a dragon and possibly clouds? I imagine it was more prominent before time and rust degrade the metal. post-5381-0-88911100-1589504595_thumb.jpegpost-5381-0-79767400-1589505015_thumb.jpegpost-5381-0-43754000-1589505080_thumb.jpegpost-5381-0-36549200-1589505116_thumb.jpeg

post-5381-0-94736700-1589504993_thumb.jpeg

post-5381-0-95491500-1589505253_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

David

I have a quote from one of the early experts on tsuba, who was instrumental in many ways on introducing the West to this field of Japanese study. 

"The followers and students of some masters took the name of the founder of the workshop and adopted the use of his signature; so various qualities of execution of guards appear and without counting the constant counterfeits, many pieces can bear the name of a famous artist. It is therefore preferable to appreciate the execution of the work before reading the signature, which is important only when the work is authentic; so I refrained from mentioning it."  Tadamasa Hayashi (林 忠正, 1853–1906)

This is translated from French (by me) so it may have lost a little in translation - being now third hand. But I think what he meant most was basically forget the signature, appreciate the guard. Regardless of who did it, if you like it, that's all that is important. I think it is a nice piece.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I agree with that and that’s why I purchased it. And it’s funny because ironically It appealed to me before I even saw the mei. I dont purchase a tsuba based on the mei. There are plenty of so called genuine Nobuie mei tsuba which do not appeal to my liking whatsoever, and regardless of the assessed value I am not interested in possessing it. I look for artistic qualities such as composition, textures and patterns as well as skill to appreciate. And along the lines of the quote from Hayashi there is such grey area and subjective interpretation in regarding Nobuie mei that I had consulted everything else about the tsubas character first before it influences me. I personally like this piece, in fact it may be my favorite at the moment.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Dear David,

I know it is sacrilege, but personally I'm not a fan of most "authentic" Nobuie tsuba either.  Strangely, I do like your tsuba - perhaps it's your excellent photos.      There are some things that I'm wondering about though.  Regardless of the fat/thin Nobuie mei issues, the lines of the mei on your tsuba seem far more corroded than the rest of incised lines on the tsuba like some of the turtleshell carving (perhaps trying to make the mei more difficult to evaluate?).  Similarly, despite the [artificial?] look of significant age and corrosion elsewhere, the anna and mimi seem relatively fresh and crisp.

• Like 1

So yes I also considered what you mentioned and the mei and the Kikko lines actually are quite similar and the rust around the rim is also matching which seems more contrasty in the photos. In hand the difference is not that dramatic. What I noticed is the Kikko and the mei seem to be carved slightly deeper than the other (dragon?) design on the tsuba. There is however matching rust in the nakago ana and around the mimi so I’m not sure if these are rusting more prominently because a different technique was used to apply the Kikko design and mei, or because the way it was handled prior, I’m not sure. I do know that the subtle design flows with the Kikko , as in the two were made while considering placement of each other so I don’t believe one was added at a later time. But I will say although the photos are clear and sharp, the photos make the color contrast much more drastic than it actually is. There is a very slight greyish blue tint to the surface but overall it has a reddish brown copper tint to the piece. Oh and no i have not purchased the book from Grey yet it’s a little out of my price range at the moment. I’m the only one working in my entire extended family so I’m trying to remain frugal if you will.

• Like 1

Also this reminds me - I did see in a 5 year old post that various members all went in on reproducing a book regarding Nobuie approx 200 pages and a PDF format e book as well. Any of these still around? Anyone willing to share the PDF?

Are you guys speaking of the Nobuie Tsuba book Markus Sesko translated?  If so, I might suggest contacting him regarding availability of the PDF. 

David, I totally hear you on how tight funds are at the moment; many of us are feeling that for sure.  But when you can, the Nobuie Tsuba book by Iida Kazuo is simply  required reading for anyone with a serious interest in Nobuie.  No other way to say it.  ;-)   One thing I will add, too, is that while some or even many genuine Nobuie works may not appeal to you now, with time and study (and especially if you can see and handle a few in person), they will grow on you.  There is a reason genuine Nobuie tsuba have so long been considered by many connoisseurs to be the pinnacle of all iron sword guards.  And there is a reason so many copies, forgeries, and homages were made following the original early Nobuie smiths.  ;-)

• Like 2

It is a remarkable book, and I highly recommend it. I wonder if Markus would like to do a run of the eBook and sell them through the forum?
I would hate to see it shared without compensation going to those who arranged it.

• Like 1

Yes that’s correct I believe it was Markus. That would be great if something could be arranged. And thanks for the reply Steve I will definitely keep the Kazuo book on my list.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..