Getting Started

Matt D

Hello Everyone.  

I'm relatively new to Japanese swords and a new member to this message board.  While studying Kenjutsu and Nihonto, I've also developed an interest in Type 98 Shin Gunto.  The books that I've seen include two by Fuller and Gregory, and another book by Dawson.  Both appear to be out of print and can be a little pricey.  But if I could only purchase one book on the subject, which would you recommend?  Are any other online resources, besides this one, that you would recommend?

Also, where would you recommend that I look to purchase a Type 98 Shin Gunto?  I'm not looking for anything that's particularly collectible.  It also doesn't necessarily have to be traditionally made or an ancestral blade.  But I would like a relatively clean blade with fittings in decent condition. 

Thank you for your help and advice.

Matt D.

Matt

Both Dawson&Fuller book are good,you can check this link as well ,many informations of Gunto.

http://ohmura-study.net/101.html

Hello Everyone.  

I'm relatively new to Japanese swords and a new member to this message board.  While studying Kenjutsu and Nihonto, I've also developed an interest in Type 98 Shin Gunto.  The books that I've seen include two by Fuller and Gregory, and another book by Dawson.  Both appear to be out of print and can be a little pricey.  But if I could only purchase one book on the subject, which would you recommend?  Are any other online resources, besides this one, that you would recommend?

Also, where would you recommend that I look to purchase a Type 98 Shin Gunto?  I'm not looking for anything that's particularly collectible.  It also doesn't necessarily have to be traditionally made or an ancestral blade.  But I would like a relatively clean blade with fittings in decent condition. 

Thank you for your help and advice.

Matt D.

Dawson's is a picture book with a little info, while F&G provides a lot more information, though less picture reference. Neither is much better than the other, but Dawson's does offer more swords and their variations.

Both are a little dated now, but they're about as good as it gets until you start catching up with the latest research and news online.

• Like 4

Imho.

Dawson's if the best for sword info

F&g are the best for dirks, and stamp but have mis-labbeled swords in the first edition.

This forum is great but it's open to mis-quoting as any old man can post anything and for new members will have to learn whoms opinion is reliable

And ohmura is great but wish his webpage was structured better

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for the information.  And thank you for letting me know about the Ohmura site.  I'll definitely check it out.

Bruce,

I don't think I'm ready to purchase anything at this time, but I enjoyed the post. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..