Any one got the time?

Spartancrest

Come to think of it, I bought a Tanto tsuba which had been turned into a Mekugi-nuki.  The triangle contained an iron filling with spike/prod. It was attached to a Victorian or Meiji watch fob chain. Eventually I sold it back to the person I bought it from, against a Netsuke.

Better to be recycled than ignored or destroyed!   I was given a tsuba bolo from a craftsman in Japan who had inadvertently tossed out the original Shirasaya and habaki that was on a sword I sent for restoration.  I also have a pin set of pins that were made in early Meiji.  Most are first class Edo or Meiji work that was either repurposed for or made specifically for export.  I shared some photos of some of them on NMB many moons ago. 

This seller has several er, non-invasive tsuba clocks up on fleabay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/samuraimuseum888/m.html?item=402223800430&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Here's an image lifted from one of the auctions for posterity (I don't own the image/copyright - it is being presented for educational/criticism uses only):

post-204-0-43374900-1586965040_thumb.jpg

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

I noticed these some "time" back ! I like the 'Kabutoshi ' but it looks pretty modern.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-one-and-only-antique-Tsuba-Clock-in-the-world-with-registered-utility-model/402223763540?hash=item5da6679054:g:hGQAAOSwIL9elToI

My mind is playing up is 'Kabutoshi ' the correct term ?

Piers, no there is a group of tsuba designs mainly miochin that have riveted plates in imitation of the rivet pattern on helmets (kabuto) they apparently were often done to show off the smiths skill like an advert for helmet makers. I had a reference for them but is lost in the clutter. I will keep searching, maybe this is a different universe to the one I was living in a few months ago!

Barry Hennick

This is off thread a little but -

There are an awful lot of sellers who proclaim their pieces are, 'unique' - 'only one of its kind' - 'original'. Even way back in 1884 George Audsley said "Although we have, in the course of our studies, examined thousands of guards, we do not remember ever to have seen two exactly alike."

- he should have got out more! One example in his own collection may look very familiar to many NMB Members.post-3736-0-27833700-1587080061_thumb.jpg

Back on thread.

Here is one you can't hold a candle to!

post-3736-0-68914700-1587078647_thumb.jpg

This one is mine - not very well made at first sight, but when you consider it is only 14mm wide, shakudo within a fukurin its not so bad. Probably part of a tobacco pouch clasp. I am considering having it mounted as a type of signet ring. You will note it shows the ura side - the omote is covered by back fiitings, that's assuming it is decorated at all on that side.

post-3736-0-45131900-1587110814_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..