Early type 98? unique engravings? can anyone identify this gunto?

kanabo247

So I believe this is an early type 98 gunto, but please correct me if I am wrong. the fuchi seems slightly taller than on any of the comparable swords I can find, and I can't seem to find anything with this type of engraving, all others seem to have the same alternating leaf design. the style of tsuba is what leads me to beleive it is an early example type 98. the tang has only that single stamp which leads me to believe it was probably a mass produced blade. it seems also that this is not the original handle wrap(ito) as the material, wrapping style, and workmanship don't seem to match up. if anyone can tell me anything more about this sword I would really appreciate it!rsH7555.jpgvpz8kcx.jpgpZ4GJCN.jpgHCXcoyT.jpgLSsZ3u4.jpg9BWRVbl.jpg87LAeMf.jpgjjXbbyx.jpg

Close-ups of the blade tip too.

While we wait for more pics, I will say that at first glance, I'm leaning toward Chinese reproduction. I got suckered by one at an auction recently, and it has an almost identical stamp, posted below. What makes me hesitate, though, is that your nakago is much better made than the majority of Chinese fakes. In the case of my fake, the blades was made pretty convincingly, but the nakogo was horrible.

post-3487-0-52679400-1586545052_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I KNEW I had seen that stamp before, but until today, couldn't remeber where I'd seen it ..... it was right under my nose - in the Stamps Doc, in Richard Fuller's chart!!!

It's the "WA" stamp: "(xii) ‘Wa’ stamp. Probably indicates manufacture in an occupied area, most likely by a collaborating force. Found on poor quality rolled or hammered blades." The examples I'm posting are on the blades themselves, whereas these other two are on nakagos and poorly defined.

SO ... now I don't know what to think about these blades. If fake, does the Chinese faker know the Richard & Fuller book and is using this stamp to pass these blades off as "occupied area" made? Or are they really occupied area made?

I wish I could see just Black & White, but all I see is grey!!!

post-3487-0-57226800-1586875567_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-53545700-1586875591_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..