Need help identifying old Large tanto/Kowakazashi

The kowakizashi fittings came with a signed kogatana that a member here Uwe was kind enough to translate Kuninobu. I don’t know if that maker made both the kowakizashi and kogatana. The blade does appear close to kuninobu type of work. I know that’s a long shot

post-4538-0-30998600-1585686491_thumb.jpeg

post-4538-0-33637900-1585686513_thumb.jpeg

The kowakizashi fittings came with a signed kogatana that a member here Uwe was kind enough to translate Kuninobu. I don’t know if that maker made both the kowakizashi and kogatana. The blade does appear close to kuninobu type of work. I know that’s a long shot

Hi again George!

The translation for the kogatana was “Kunihiro” (I corrected my first thought immediately). The thing is, that signatures on these little blades are in most cases, more or less, “worthless” and can’t, by no means, be related to the kaji (swordsmith) of the “accompanying” sword!

Sorry....

• Like 1

George,

looks like a healthy blade! Congratulations! 

It is not a TANTO (less than 30,3 cm) and not a KO-WAKIZASHI with that length.  I think I can see MOKUME-HADA in one photo, but in general these are not well focused so NIE or NIOI cannot be seen. Identification will be difficult by SUGATA alone.

Looks like a tanago bara nakago (fish belly shape), which I agree points to Soshu.  The shape looks early to mid muromachi to me.  I agree that it is hard to make out the hada, but agree that Shimada is a decent call.  

Lol yes Ken it appears like fingerprints in that pic but if you look closer it’s a reflection of my fingers holding cell phone in front of blade to get a good angle for picture. Yes I’m a newbie but not that newbie. I was also frequently wiping/cleaning blade like an OCD person every 20 sec taking pics Lol!! Those schools all sound like good calls. Yes I also agree the Hamon is way overdone and no matter what angle I try cannot see much activity in Hamon. With extreme lighting I can see shades of activity in there tho but obscured from the heavy polish

I’ve been struggling with yasurime. It’s hard to discern with the thick patina covering most of the nakago but generally appears like saka o-sujikai which appears mostly on Shinto blades but on the one side there is an area that appears like higaki like a crossed fence pattern. The file marks generally are so steep and irregular generally that one might also define it as sen suki which is also found occasionally on Mino-providence blades of the muromachi period. I don’t know what to make of it but saka o-sujikai I can prob rule out because the blade doesn’t really point to Shinto based on the sugata. What do you guys think?

Thought id kill an hour with this puzzle, it is a strange one.

See why folk are saying Soshu and Mino.

The only clear picture of the jigane is that of the boshi, clearly see Mokume/Itame. Dificult from pictures but the steel does have that black look which is associated with Sue-seki. The hamon line appears to be in ko.nie and even with better polish im not sure that it would reveal a great amount of activity?. The yasurime awkwardly point towards Mino also. 

The nakago shape appears to have a soshu influence, 

Puzzled, blade looks to be made around 1570, punched ana, unsigned, irregular yasurime and with some hada ware thrown in, so not a masterpiece, but a blade made to do its job.

Been around in circles with school. I don't think its Shimada or Soshu. Il go Mino, but not mainstream. Ive read of a school named Ganmaku, they worked in both Soshu and Mino den styles, but that would require more research.

As always, kantei from pictures is always a fun challenge

• Like 1

Your welcome George, like these kantei when i have the time.

Just one other thing I noticed, the position and appearance of the ware, which can be an indicator of Sue-seki due to masame in that location.

Difficult to be sure, thanks for the quiz  :thumbsup:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..