What Is This I Found In A Sword Bag?

ChuckJ

I tried using my Google Translate App but it translated several of the characters as "Thing".  LOL

Any help would be appreciated,  this paper was inside the sword bag and I had to shake out as I felt it still inside after removing the blade.  It's a O-Katana I believe because the nagasa is 31" (78.74cm) I  received it today from a very kind man I met at the Atlanta sword show ( I should have bought it after looking a it 7 different times). However, what is this paper which was at the bottom of the sword bag.

As always I thank you all for help,

Chuck

post-5163-0-57443800-1585608981_thumb.jpg

It looks like a torokusho (license) for a blade by Kashu ju Fujiwara Nagatsugu.

Thank you Mr. Singer!  I have no idea what it is and I appreciate your time to look at it.

Best wishes for you and your family,

Chuck

• Like 1

Hello Gents,

What I can tell you about the paper is it is old, as the paper it's printed on is soiled with age and it's a texture that I've not felt before.  A type of rice paper maybe (I don't know but it's coarse grain, more sturdy than copy paper).  There is no color to the stamps and does appear to be a copy but not by a modern type process we have today.  Anyway, it's the actual blades Mei on the document which I found to be interesting and had no idea what it could be.  On a side note it appears the original was dated 05/18/1948.

Again, I thank you all for the kind help and I plan to search the history behind the term "torokusho" which Mr. Singer kindly provided.

Best wishes to all,

Chuck

There is a Shinto sword by this smith Kashu Nagatsugu listed as having been made in 1655.

The Torokusho proof of registration is issued by the local Board of Education. By law you must deregister it if it is sold abroad, so finding a copy is more likely than finding an original, though it does happen.

There is a Shinto sword by this smith Kashu Nagatsugu listed as having been made in 1655.

The Torokusho proof of registration is issued by the local Board of Education. By law you must deregister it if it is sold abroad, so finding a copy is more likely than finding an original, though it does happen.

Hello,

Thank you for the response!  I know the originals for most or all  sword documentation are kept in Japan.  It was just a nice find as it was with the blade and I was curious as to what it was.

Should you be interested I can photo the blade and Mei just for you to see and evaluate.  It's a robust blade with many nice features.

Best wishes,

Chuck

Hello Gents,

Here are the best pictures I can take of this blade at the moment due to it's length. Remember, I have moved the steel tape to the 1" mark as zero at the tip of the kissaki, I'm reading overall length as 39 1/4th inches or so.  Very hard to take the pics standing on a ladder over my pool table, please forgive!

post-5163-0-86588900-1585783494_thumb.jpg

post-5163-0-81497200-1585783600_thumb.jpg

post-5163-0-96733400-1585783695_thumb.jpg

post-5163-0-99524500-1585783625_thumb.jpg

post-5163-0-26648100-1585784005_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..