nambantestu show and tell

Oshy

Anyone have early nambantestu blades(or nambantestu/tamahagane mixture) from late muromachi - early edo to show and tell? How reliant was it that the nakago would be inscribed "motte naman tetsu"? Im sure it probably varies from where the material was being imported from, but are there obvious characteristics that would give it away such as a darker tone and less pronounced hada?

One of the most prolific users of foriegn steel was Yasutsugu. as can be seen in the sword currently on Aoe-Art's website linked below, he frequently recorded his use of this material.

There is a lot of debate in the past regaridng what qualities , if any, incorporating nambantetsu gave to a blade. It is often said that His blades were darker but I think this is a general trait of Echizen based smiths and not necessarily due to Dutch iron being included. It has also been recorded that Hizen Smiths used it. Considering their close proximity to the Dutch trading port this would seem possible but I am not sure it has ever been proven conclusively.

While many claims regarding performance may have been made it does fly in the face of the more generally held view that Tamahagane was the purest and best material for sword manufacture. If this is so why incorporate a lesser material?

I think there are two reasons firstly availability, it was shipped in in large volume and offered a lower cost alternative to the home produced product. Secondly at a time when smiths tried to differentiate their work from everyone else claiming it had this mysterious foreign iron gave them a USP and separated  them from the pack.

https://www.aoijapan.com/katana-yasutsugu-tei-motte-nanban-tetsu-oite-bushu-edo-saku-kore/

• Like 5

There have always been rumours the Nambantetsu was simply inferior pig iron used for ballast that the Dutch flogged off onto unsuspecting Japanese. Is anyone aware of a Nambantetsu sword having an chemical analysis performed on it?

I'd be interested in this analysis as well. 

There are conflicting claims out there pertaining to the use and quality of swords produced using nanbantetsu.  I've read some claims saying that the inclusion of foreign steel made for a tougher, perhaps more "functional" steel, albeit not as artistic.  I do know that nanbantetsu was used in Bungo by some of the Takada smiths (early Edo period).  I also remember reading that the neighbouring Daimyo of Hizen banned its use by all smiths within his territory.  Was this for political reasons, or was it viewed at the time as inferior steel as well? 

Sorry for so much "remembering" here, but I don't have any sources at hand right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..