Is Covid 19 going to kill the NMB?

I discovered the Nihonto Message Board about 10 years ago and loved it because it was a community of serious folks who asked serious questions and offered usefully concrete information. Now I am locked up in Coronavirus Prison. And in that space, it looks to me like NMB is changing - and not for the better.

We are getting an increasing number of emergency demands for translations of "grandpa's sword." It sure looks to me like most of those situations deal with late War gunto. And even so, those discussions are generally far better than the all too common requests to assess obvious Chinese reproduction non-com swords. OMG! Are those guys too lazy or too stupid to find entry level sites themselves? And then there are the empowered newbies who demand that all 4 sides or every box is clearly explained in terms they already know - even if it entails use of totally inappropriate vocabulary - - like "squiggles".

Out of boredom, I have also explored a couple of sword related venues on Facebook. Many of those are simply not worth the time it takes to scan them. The stuff that is shown is not very good and the discussion is quick and not thoughtful. It contrasts with the thoughtful discussions that can - and do - occur here on NMB. 

Peter

• Like 8

I think Covid will actually improve us here. As more people go into lockdown, I expect more guys will sit on the pc, and spend time here. I already see an increase in the stats.
Serious and in depth discussion wanes. Some weeks, nothing. Then suddenly a new topic provides some excellent info. Nothing unusual. It happens, and the amount of info archived here is staggering. 14 Years of info!
The only thing you need to worry about is Covid literally killing me off :laughing:
I have no successor or backup plan. Hmmm....may have to give that some serious thought.

• Like 15

I discovered the Nihonto Message Board about 10 years ago and loved it because it was a community of serious folks who asked serious questions and offered usefully concrete information. Now I am locked up in Coronavirus Prison. And in that space, it looks to me like NMB is changing - and not for the better.

We are getting an increasing number of emergency demands for translations of "grandpa's sword." It sure looks to me like most of those situations deal with late War gunto. And even so, those discussions are generally far better than the all too common requests to assess obvious Chinese reproduction non-com swords. OMG! Are those guys too lazy or too stupid to find entry level sites themselves? And then there are the empowered newbies who demand that all 4 sides or every box is clearly explained in terms they already know - even if it entails use of totally inappropriate vocabulary - - like "squiggles".

Out of boredom, I have also explored a couple of sword related venues on Facebook. Many of those are simply not worth the time it takes to scan them. The stuff that is shown is not very good and the discussion is quick and not thoughtful. It contrast with the thoughtful discussions that can - and do - occur here on NMB. 

Peter

No, its posts like this that are more likely to kill NMB, chill, forums change as people come and go, sometimes good and sometimes not so good

• Like 8

Having been here since the start, going back to both Rich Stein and Rich Turner before Brian took the helm, I am very confident the board will survive this as it has many previous disasters (albeit of a different scale). This will end. We are not sure when yet but it will end. limitations on what we can do should stimulate people to read more of the information here and perhaps contribute more by sharing their own ideas and research. This situation is a pain, it is frightening and disruptive but lets see if we can draw some advantage from it by using the time suddenly available to us to get more involved in a subject we love and in a group we respect.

The Board will definitely survive well beyond Corvid-19 and come out the other side stronger than ever.

• Like 7

Been here for a little more than a year now, so I consider myself as one of the newbies mentioned.

I have to say that there is some truth in what Peter says. It must be pretty boring to see the same endless topics and questions asked and answered for old timers. The truth is I like it because when someone asks a question, as a newbie, reading the answers make me progress. Sometimes, I’d like to ask some questions myself but feel they are so ridiculous I don’t.

Also, I have to say that I’m very surprised the most active and groundbreaking section seems to be the military swords section. I was completely uninterested in those swords but the wealth of passion and information I’ve found here made me love these swords too.

I think NMB’s quality is just that, a mix of old and new, a mix of old timers and newbies. Best way to transmit a passion.

• Like 8

Hi, folks,

the NMB ist still the no.1 nihonto board shared by the western world. I do not think that this will change as long as Brian keeps the spirit of this institution alive!

Thank you, Brian!

:thumbs: Best, Martin

• Like 6

Talking from experience as an instructor in a field also including in depth discussions, a forum like this is where it is at. It is made with in depth discussion threads in mind, available for posterity. VERY different to any social media platform with its quick, short, simplified ways of communicating. People interested in the subject beyond scratching the surface or quick google searches will end up finding it, as is evident from all the grandpa's sword inquiries. I don't see any reason why the forum would go away anytime soon.

• Like 3

I happen to own the Web-site https://e-budo.com, & my mods & I have an ongoing conversation on exactly this topic (minus COVID-19) - should the site continue when there are so few really new questions?

Our consensus is exactly what Brian stated: 27 years of archived information on every facet of martial arts should never be lost!

NMB lives & breathes, & every one of us looks at Nihonto, tosogu, etc. with a different eye, & a different depth of understanding. I've been around since 2007, & the more I learn, the more-interesting the forum gets. Newer members often make me look at something I thought I understood, in a totally different way, & that's the real value of NMB, to me.

Brian, you're younger than many of us, so you'd better find someone even younger to train as your successor! And if you need more disk space for backup, please let me know.

• Like 8

For someone new to nihonto (relatively speaking), this site and the people here have been a godsend. I am grateful every time I check out a topic or ask a question here. I learn something new nearly every time. And while there is the sad revelation of us losing a long-time nihonto enthusiast now and again, I also see us gaining more people like myself and JP.

I just wanted to say: thanks guys!

P.S. Brian will become an immortal hermit sensei and maintain this site forever, right?

• Like 2

It will always be that you have to accept the bad with the good

I was one of those that wanted all the answers and not understanding why it was taking me soo long to learn the basics, then a few years later the penny dropped, there are no short cuts to gaining knowledge

How many more times will someone ask, what books do you recommend!

It's great that Brian or the moderators can just add a link to give these more basic answers

Hopefully the newbie then becomes an oldie

Although I read most posts my favourites at the moment is 'small creatures' and 'dad jokes'

Then the joy of articles such as the Namban post

Cherry on the top is to buy and sell. The anticipation of receiving a new tsuba in the post is so exciting

I suppose you could start a post asking what the members favourite post is/was

Roll on for many more years

Grev

• Like 2

Well you can fight back! Make a topic on a subject you know well, share some of your collection, ask questions about things you already know the answer to (Kantei) and see what people come out with. There should not be pressure on new members or collectors to entertain us with lost treasures or "gramdads ol' tree loppin' sword, what the dang ol' hell is she worth?". With more members having free time now is a perfect chance to take some photos, ask "dumb" questions about your swords or start threads that will divert our attention from brow beating "yokels" down until they retreat back to their mountain distilleries.

• Like 6

Covid 19 wont kill the nmb.

BUT peaple whom frequent the board posting s**t that isnt nihonto RELATED, never adding intelligent conversation, The endless and pointlessness internet slap fight over political issues is the thing that will kill the nmb by making this platform subject (nihonto and related subjects ) and secondary subject.

Instead of the primary subject.

A too am annoyed at the lazy sods who are too lazy to read a book or simply google a pdf version of a book on whats is a rather simple sword. And then the peaple who ask for opinions and then argue because they got a different answer to what THEY wanted.

The only subject that should be heavly discussed is in the title.

• Like 4

I see no danger for the NMB.

I hope Brian will be 200 years old.  :thumbsup:

200 years old!!??!! ...he's already an esteemed GENRO, what would 200 hundred years of service make him FURUI GENRO?

Yes we sometimes get 'lazy' questions and also queries on swords that later turn up for sale...but in most cases there is still a learning/teaching component to it...I think we're still bumbling along nicely (just my opinion mind you, I am getting a bit old and dribbly myself, so may be missing the point).

Regards,

• Like 1

Some of us lurking around here are still astoundingly ignorant (speaking for myself) and still ask stupid questions, even after buying many books and reading them, and trying to sweat out translations ourselves. Nihonto are a vast subject, and I am eternally grateful for people answering my questions without making me feel dumber than I do. Stupid questions don't always come from laziness. Just sayin'

• Like 7

I'm with you.

It makes me just a little bit happier to know that you are still out there Reinhard, and lurking no matter how infrequently. Hope things are well with you, and that we can meet up again in Tokyo sometime.

There is sometimes a tendency (with advancing years), to develop "old man's syndrome", where frustration or even anger over takes rationality. 

In my day ice cream was nicer, tomatoes tasted like tomatoes should, and young drivers are hopeless. 

Sorry but it's a fact, the young of today look for, and are used to instant gratification. Why read research and study when you can ask for and expect an answer. Get used to it! We are lucky the NMB draws a crowd, at least that shows some initiative that a bit of online research is taking place. 

Many start as uninformed newbies, but the good ones stay, learn and develop. 

Just suck it up, and read and reply to those topics that interest you, and skip the ones that don't. 

If it helps stop some kid buying a Chinese fake, or helping with Grandads' war souvenir, job done! 

The place for non-nihonto topics is Izakaya, you don't have to read it. 

• Like 3

Kathleen, none of your questions have been stupid or even slightly unnecessary. In fact, I enjoy your passion, fine taste and apparent solid direction in collecting.
Many newcommers should take note of how you approach this hobby.

Oh, and a quick mention. I know we frustrate the very serious and hardcore collectors out there. Mention of Rayhan and Reinhard and others. Sometimes our approach seems frustrating or misguided or not serious enough.
But this is what we have, and I always feel we do far more good than harm to serious collecting. If 5% of our members continue to the big ranks, we have done something good.
Just wanted to mention that.

• Like 5

But that’s also the point, Brian.

I think I discovered this site more than ten years ago. Read some posts and saw the vast knowledge of people compared to mine. It took me all that time to register, and even then (and still now) I was feeling hopeless and a bit anxious to sign up because what could I possibly bring to such knowledgeable people they didn’t have?

What made me change my mind is that, without a mentor, I felt like I had reached a wall and couldn’t possibly go further than I was at without help. So I signed, but have to admit that sometimes, I hesitate to ask a question because some people will feel that since they know it, I should know it too. Or they play Holmes to Watson. They see something, deduce and give the reply like a magic trick without elaborating how they came to that conclusion. I understand questions can be frustrating for old timers, but the lack of a clear answer can be as much frustrating for the newbies.

In the end, most of us share the same passion. Many, I among them, will never reach the level of some of the experts here, still the passion is the same and the goal is to teach that passion to others, make me see the marvel of the sword world, pass on the ideal of preservation. We all enjoy it at our level. Progrès and better understanding is just icing on the cake. NMB’s role is that: making sure those swords continue to live after we’re long gone.

• Like 4

This topic is a minefield and even in the short time I have been learning about this stuff especially the blades, I have had many literally directly contradictory opinions, and seen stuff that instantly makes me realise something I thought I had a grasp of, I didn't....   As with all this stuff handling the real thing is probably, at least in my case, the only way to learn and understand properly, but second best is this online forum with decent photos of stuff, comparing things is really helpful which you actually don't get with books very often. So I'm grateful for any advice or replies to my enquiries as well, ty

• Like 4

To Peter's point - all of us are like gunto variants. He wishes we could all be uniform and perfectly fit the mil-specs, but in reality, we are all variations off the design. We just aren't all nihonto experts that study smiths and schools.

I learned early on that I had neither the interest or the time to get into that sort of depth. So I found I loved the WWII gunto, the stamps, and Mantetsu. So, if I ever come across a real, nice old nihonto, I'll be one of those "newbies" posting on Translation Assistance for the needed help. And I know there will be great folks there who will lend a hand and spoon-feed me!

I also found I enjoy helping/coaching the newbies. That in itself is just another "calling" if you will. If there were no newbies, then the whole world of collecting would die when we all kick off.

I have noticed more comments, lately, from names I've never noticed before, so I think the lock-down has generated more knowledgable input as well as newbies.

• Like 6

Yes, please have patience with us noobs and our elementary questions, comments and incorrect terminology. Cultivating the youth is vital to keeping the tradition, enthusiasm and blades alive long after the current experts pass on.

• Like 1

Bruce, I agree with much of what you've said, but as any good instructor/mentor knows: there's a difference between "guiding" and "spoon feeding".  I've never seen you ask for "spoon feeding" before...  When a noob comes saying "what's tamahagane" and "why do they fold the steel" or "what's the purpose of the squiggly line along the edge", we should probably guide those noobs to books and the search function on NMB instead of answering all their basic questions for them.  The noob who comes with "I've searched for this by looking for _______" or "I think I've got one of the five kanji, can you help with the other four?" deserves a little more in my opinion....  And long live the NMB!

• Like 4

Bruce, I agree with much of what you've said, but as any good instructor/mentor knows: there's a difference between "guiding" and "spoon feeding".  I've never seen you ask for "spoon feeding" before...  When a noob comes saying "what's tamahagane" and "why do they fold the steel" or "what's the purpose of the squiggly line along the edge", we should probably guide those noobs to books and the search function on NMB instead of answering all their basic questions for them.  The noob who comes with "I've searched for this by looking for _______" or "I think I've got one of the five kanji, can you help with the other four?" deserves a little more in my opinion....  And long live the NMB!

I don’t necessarily agree with that statement.

First, I think that, as a teacher in life, repeating over and over is part of the learning curb. It’s also a sure way to make certain others share the same definition as you. And since once you’ve stated something, someone else comes up right after you to add details to what you’ve just said then there’s always a chance that you’ll learn something too. Passing knowledge is a difficult thing, two people can say the same thing , come to the same result but using different methods or ways to reach that point. I use it at school everyday. Everyone learns in a different way. Sticking to just one way is leaving some people on the border of the road and once you’re too far away, there’s no way to come back and pick them up.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..