Koto Katana

Tengu1957

looks impressive. As a newbie ignorant trying in vain to learn I would have looked at the nagako here and said right way too clean and not enough patination for a sword of that date. MOst of the other tangs of this date I have seen don't show sharp filemarks? I guess thats just a guide and tang colour varies.

Steffieeee (is that your name? if not please sign your posts are required)   the blade is Osuriage meaning the original tang was lost when it was shortened. Depending when that was done the nakago will show the age and patina it was done. Maybe this was modified in 1600? or maybe a little later so the condition of the tang reflects that. Sometimes on one side of the tang part of the original tang is left to show the original condition but that is on swords that were not shortened to loose the original nakado.

Pictures can definitely play tricks and portray a material in a lighter tone than it actually is but as Mark points out the original nakago seems to have been lost completely only leaving what used to be polished blade. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..