Tsuba Translation help

Japan2112

Hello all,

I am hoping for some guidance or translation on what I think is a poem on this Akasaka tsuba. I was told that it is in an archaic clerical script, but what do I know? I am fine with reading the mei, just the decorative poem is a challenge for me. 

Thank you for your assistance.

Mark

post-2371-0-49507000-1584132283_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-45794400-1584132299_thumb.jpg

This has me stumped. I'm not even sure which direction to read these in. I'm guessing right to left. 

The individual kanji themselves are legible enough, and they are still in common use today. Most of them, anyway.

But together I don't know if they constitute a classical Chinese poem, or if the writer meant for them to be read in a unique way, like manyōgana.

Anyway, I post them here in the hopes that someone can crack this. I will arrange them in the modern way, left to right, but remember I'm not sure at all which direction they should be arranged. 

城民天希稻語高王樓推安安揚門

矢馬方射潔有賓播鞅勢乃武遙南隣囗囗
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, and anyone else listening.

Your organization of kanji this tsuba was a great help. I do not know how or where to search for kanji. If someone can help me that would be a boost. I have added the images again of the omote and ura.

I took a direction this week and here where it has taken me. It may be two haiku in 5-7-5 and the 5-7-3 (?) meter (the last line may have 5 modae?). I want to say that this is my FIRST attempt at anything like this so I apologize for the basic nature of this quest.

Thanks to anybody who wishes to direct or redirect me in this one. Mark

Note: those kanji in red or mean that I haven’t found a suitable placement

Face (, Omote) – in modern order (left to right)  (Thanks, Steve).

1.    2.   3.     

Omote – 1. Top row ordered

矢   馬     方      射     

Shǐ        Mǎ         Hō            Shè         Jié

arrow   horse      one         shoot       clean

Omote 2. R. Lateral row ordered

有                                      

Yǒu      Bīn       Bō      yāng     Shì       Nǎi        Wǔ

Have   Guest   sow   potential thereupon martial arts                      

Omote – Bottom row ordered

遙   南    隣  囗  囗                         

Yáo      Nán     Tonari

Distant  south   next to           

Back ( ,Ura ) – in modern order (left to right)  

4.         5.      6.

Ura – 4. Top row ordered

.                                                     

Dào         xī         Tiān        min       chéng

Rice       hope     day     people      city

Ura – 5. L. Lateral row ordered

囗                               

Tuī     wáng    lóu      gao    

push    king       floor    high   speech

6. Ura – Bottom row ordered

Mén       Yáng      

gate       raise       

post-2371-0-11027800-1585284159_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-16978600-1585284173_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-43857400-1585284184_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I think I will stop and wait. The reading I've done on Chinese and Japanese poetry has me overwhelmed as swords had many years ago. If I have taken a wrong turn, then I;d rather know before going further. 

Thanks, Grev, for your encouragement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..